First and foremost, my legs look like they did when I was seven years old. Actually. The bugs have decided to leave their mark, and they itch differently than the bites from the States - these I actually can't help but scratch... So my legs are a sight to see.
Rewind... What's really first and foremost is that I got two boxes of Girl Scout cookies from my family today :) :) :) Why is this exciting (apart from the obvious)? 1) It was a package - and two at that - as my mom shipped them separately (in case one didn't get here, maybe the other would!) 2) They actually got here!!! 3) I got these packages before a card that my mom sent for Valentine's Day... The card was sent over two weeks before the packages... Gotta love the mail system 4) Last winter my mom sent me two boxes of Girl Scout cookies at school in Iowa... It arrived as an empty envelope... The scoreboard remains Mexico - 1, Iowa - 0. And 5) I GET TO EAT GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!!
Today I spent the morning at Sol y Luna, and it was a riot! I spent the majority of the time with the big kids practicing their dance for Carnaval. On Friday, Sol y Luna will have their own float in one of the parades, so the kids are performing a dance. I spent an hour listening to La Bamba on repeat... us adults were getting a little crazy. They were so so so cute trying to learn the steps, and it was basically just mad chaos. But Silvia (the very bubbly, musical, kind therapist) insists that the kids will do this by themselves on Friday - without instructors guiding them or doing it with them. I love this. The kids are excellent learners, and this opportunity is such an excitement for them, and an honor for all of us who work with them. They're going to record it so I can see them perform, since I'll be in Chiapas! I also made a new friend, with Sra. Beti - the cook at Sol y Luna, and her granddaughter who looks a little younger than me. They were both so sweet and excited that I'm here, helping, learning Spanish, and trying something new! Today Óscar stole my heart, again. He would not leave my side today, and insisted that I be his partner wherever he went. He refused the help from other instructors and gave me countless hugs. Since all but about one of the kids are nonverbal, we use a lot of sign language with them, I'm catching on!! Below you'll see a picture that Carla drew for me - she's the sister of one of the Sol y Luna kids (José), who is dancing in the parade with everyone!
| Dancing on the float for Carnaval |
This afternoon I went to La Academía Inglés for English classes. Today I got to work in smaller groups, of three students. The first group was younger, between 14 and 16 years old - and a lot of fun to work with! We just chatted, as this was their first opportunity to talk with a native speaker. We discussed good places to visit in Mérida, their schoolwork, Carnaval, and the difficulties of learning a second language. I'm hoping I'll be able to work with David, Maria Luisa, and Leslie each week - they were really enthusiastic about learning! The second group was Rosario, Ana Maria, and Monica, they ranged in ages and were so much more shy!! They were pretty scared and nervous to speak, but I think it helped when I reminded them that they didn't need to worry because I've been in their position!
Right after English classes I walked to El Museo de la Ciudad de Mérida (The Museum of the City of Mérida). My mom had an invitation to an art show/gallery benefiting an art therapy organization that her niece is involved in, and since she wasn't able to go, she gave me in the ticket! I went all by myself, and conquered by second Mexican benefit since being here in Mérida. I'm on a roll! The artwork was really neat - and completed by adolescents and younger! I enjoyed walking around, taking a look at other parts of the museum as well, and was eventually greeted by Umberto. Umberto was a "grandpa-aged" man, who saw me floating around by myself and greeted me by asking in Spanish, "You aren't Mexican are you?" No Umberto, I'm not... How could you tell? But we got talking, and I think he really just wanted someone to listen to him - as he shared all sorts of stories, history, experiences, and opinions with me. He has a few friends that live part of the year in Minneapolis, so that got him excited too! He knew some English from being in California a while, but we never had to use it - because he was impressed by how well I understood Spanish! Score, I've impressed another native! We ended up talking for a long time and then it was time for me to catch the bus back home!
Worked on homework, ate tamales for dinner and chatted with my mom, relaxed! Wonderful day!
| Some of the art at the show |
| I really really liked this picture, very simple but pretty cool |
| I may have liked the tiling better than the art itself... |
| Model of La Plaza Grande (center of downtown) |
No comments:
Post a Comment