Wednesday, March 2, 2011

¡Es tiempo para Carnaval!

Biggest bummer of the day = Dance was cancelled!! Veronica wasn't able to make it to class.
Biggest highlight of the day = Carnaval started!! 

La Carnaval is a big deal here, and Mérida is considered one of the places where it's celebrated the biggest/best in Latin America. Check out the website Carnaval if you're interested! Tonight was "Quema del Mal Humor"(burning of the bad humor) which kicks off the Carnaval celebration. The event was held in the city's main plaza downtown as a symbolic act condemning the bad mood which is later set on fire during a firework show. We also stopped to watch a clown/magician/juggler/comedian (I couldn't figure out his official title!), a dance group, and a performance on stage! I have some pictures, but they're pretty bad quality due to the lighting, crowd, etc! Walking down the streets that were blocked off was really fun too! The city is hopping with so many street vendors, music, dancing, restaurants that move their tables into the streets, lights, and excitement! Carnaval runs from today, March 2nd to March 8th! Unfortunately/fortunately we'll be gone in Chiapas for the majority of the festivities. It's an obvious bummer because we won't be able to attend the different desfiles (parades - there's one each day, with different themes) or observe the cultural celebration, but at the same time the city gets pretty crazy and a lot of people are irresponsible so it's a good time to get away! I'm most sad that I'll be missing the Sol y Luna kids do their dance in the parade on Friday! Tomorrow we have plans to go downtown for the festivities again, with the Kid's Parade which starts at 4. Every year this is the first parade. I greatly anticipate all of the colorful and creative costumes, as this is what Carnaval is most known for - and you can see even just from the website that everything is bursting with brightness!

Other than that today I just spent time around home, dropped off my laundry, did homework, and took a siesta! Nothing too exciting! Spending time relaxing and being well rested as we prepare to leave for Chiapas so soon!! If only I would have packed today like I had planned... there's always tomorrow!


The comedic entertainer - whose red plastic nose kept falling off
Bless the American tourist who got pulled into this show!
Katelynn eating her Marquesita (Yucatecan treat) - very unsuccessfully :)
If you can't see the show, you obviously climb into the trees, or sit on the pay phones
La Catedral is BEAUTIFUL at night!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment