Sunday, March 13, 2011

The island is calling!!!

Today consisted mostly of preparing for my vacation that starts tomorrow morning! A little shopping, packing, planning, and submitting homework that is due after break (out of sight, out of mind) occupied my day! So what will I be doing this week?

Emily Sullivan and I are heading to Isla Holbox, from Monday until Saturday, living on the small and peaceful island. 7 miles long and 1 mile wide, Holbox has no paved roads, only sand, and has no cars, only bikes and golf carts. This is the life!! We've been "warned" (as if it's a bad thing) that the island is very relaxed and low-key. Sounds perfect! We're hoping to spend lots of time on the white sand beaches, possibly go horseback riding, check out where the Gulf meets the Caribbean Sea, explore the island, do some shopping, taste fresh island cuisine, and just relax and enjoy the scenery!

Paradise, right?
At 6 am the taxi will pick us up from the Central House and take us to the ADO bus station downtown. These are Greyhound-type buses, and we will ride from Mérida to Cancún. Then we will confront a few options, either take a bus to the city of Chiquilá, followed by a ferry to Holbox, or possibly just a ferry from Cancún to Holbox. We are certain on the schedule of the Chiquilá route, but a friend suggested we check out the straight shot to Holbox. Once we're in Holbox, all schedules and worries go out the window. Emily and I decided to book our nights at two different places to A) save money and B) experience both types of living... We'll be staying half of our time at Tribu Hostel, which looks very nice based on the website. We will have our own private room (so I guess not the true hostel experience, but one step at a time!). The other half we'll be at Hotel Casa Barbara, which the website depicts as a cute and friendly place. Full of color and vegetation, the hotel also offers a pool! It's right on the main drag (but on a small island, isn't everything on the main drag?) and very close to the beach.

Hotel Casa Barbara

So I'm off early to journey to this beautiful island. I think the reason it doesn't feel like this vacation is all that real, is because I'm already in a warm and beautiful place here in Mérida - but I know we will enjoy ourselves, and the time away from the city! Please pray for our safety in travel and health, and that things will go as we have planned. Both the hostel and hotel should have internet access, so I may be able to update during the week, but if not - have a fantastic week - talk to you Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment