I apologize (sort of) in advance, as I'm anticipating that this will be a lengthy post! I've been out of commission for multiple days, and have experienced absolutely amazing things during this time!
My five day trip to the state of Chiapas with my group was a wild ride with an entirely new look at Mexico than I've ever experienced. I've seen western Mexico from staying with my family, central Mexico from visiting D.F. for a family event, and now know the Yucatán, but Chiapas provided something completely different. It was a gorgeous oasis - and what I'd consider to be part Costa Rica (many places we visited reminded me of my time there), part Colorado, and part Europe (based on what I've seen in pictures). For a journal entry for Understanding Contemporary Mexico we had to compare San Cristobal (our final destination) to Mérida as we observed the changes during our long ride there - here is what I compiled. It'll hopefully help you to understand the differences I was experiencing.
Three physical/geographical changes between Mérida and San Cristobal:
1) MOUNTAINS!! We became surrounded by the gorgeous peak-filled horizon and felt the change in our stomachs as we drove!
2) Goodbye palm trees, hello pine trees! The greenery morphed into lush palm trees as we made the ascent.
3) Ice ice baby!! I had little to complain about as we experienced the dramatic climate changes! Wearing a jacket never felt so good!
Physical characteristics influence "human" characteristics:
1) Architecture: What stuck out to me was an absence of brightly painted signage adorning every building! Instead "typical" advertisements that we see in the US were popular! The roads were many times cobblestone and I observed many arches.
2) Patterns of Livelihood: The town was booming at night, but unlike Mérida people weren't crowding bars and clubs, it was more musical entertainment and cafés.
3) Land Use: Everything was tightly packed into the city's streets. Different things were harvested (flowers in greenhouses down in the valleys) or were harvested different ways (corn on the side of the mountains). Terrace-style planting is popular on the many hillsides.
4) Transportation: Everything was pretty accessible so I noticed a decrease in taxis and no big city buses, only smaller shuttle. There were more bike carts in the small villages.
5) Clothing: Much different! Due to the climate we witnessed many layers, more wool, more shawls or ponchos! Due to the great Mayan population, the bright colored indigenous clothing was very popular!
Friday March 4th:
Started the day off bright (actually still dark) and early as Val picked me up just after 4am. We had a group breakfast at Central House and hit the road right on time. I was able to sleep throughout most of the eight hours of driving - PTL! We arrived in Palenque just in time to drop off luggage at the hotel (really fun and unique place) before heading to the ruins. This site was truly beautiful! The atmosphere and vegetation was totally different than others that we've visited. It helped that the weather was sunny but not hot! Explored and took in the beauty before heading back to the city for delicious tacos out on the town! After walking around, having bird drop treats down twice from the trees, we headed in for a night of relaxing, absorbing that glorious air conditioning, and sprawling out on the memory foam beds!
Saturday March 5th:
A magnificent day! Likely one of my favorite of the whole semester. Left Palenque to drive to Misol Ha, a tremendous waterfall, in both size and beauty! We were able to walk behind it (don't worry, it was on a path), and then walk through a cave... Legit. There was a mini waterfall deep inside and we saw bats!! Thank goodness for Keens... they were made for adventures like those! Then we drove to Agua Azul - absolutely breathtaking. One of the most gorgeous places I have ever visited. Crystal blue water, sunshine, mountains, palm trees. It was here that I exclaimed "I'm never leaving!!!" We walked around the viewing area of the waterfalls and then swam above the waterfalls where it's like freshwater pools. I felt like Ariel... swimming over rock formations and opening my eyes in the clear water. Then I felt like Jane from Tarzan as I swung from a rope and tree into the cool pools. Ate lunch, got ready for the long voyage (aka popped in the Dramamine) and I fortunately never felt sick!! Slept the whole way - but wow those turns were intense! Arrived in San Cristobal de las Casas - a cute little walking town busting with small cafés, shops and music... weirdest part... it was actually cold there. And a group filled with Midwesterners has the right to say that. Brrrrrr, it felt SO good!!! We were at 7,000 above sea level in the mountains, which is why there is such a climate change.
Sunday March 6th:
Headed to the town of San Juan Chamula, unfortunately no photos allowed (because it's so indigenous), but remarkable! Such a different area and so cold - so lots of wool skirts and coats, very Mayan, dead chickens, mountains! We went through a cathedral - incredibly decorated, floor covered in pine needles, more candles that I've ever seen in one place, and incense burning! Then we got to walk around on our own a bit! Next we went to an even smaller town, Zinacantan. The dress in both theses places is immaculate... shawls, wraps, ponchos, and coats of incredible colors and design! We got back to San Cristobal around noon with the rest of the day free! After lunch I hit the market. Six hours later we exited spend that whole time winding through the aisles and tunnels of of vendors, looking at all the vibrant handicrafts. By then I had heard "Cuál le damos?" from the vendors one too many times - meaning "Which can we give you?". This as well as "Muchos colores" (Many colors) were phrases proclaimed by every seller as the white kids passed their stand. Most places sold similar things but somehow we continued to find it fun walking around (multiple times) as we bartered and shopped. Dinner in the plaza at a wonderful quesadilla stand. Then churros and Mexican hot chocolate for dessert as we strolled through the streets. "America is so bland" is all I could say - this place was unreal.
Monday March 7th:
After breakfast we were free for for more hours so Katelynn and I went around town to the market again and I found some fun things! Most importantly my traditional Mexican blouse which I've been looking for the whole trip! Hit the road until a lunch stop at a cute restaurant overlooking a valley in the mountains and then back in the bus - cruising along until we did a complete stop. Turns out there was a political riot/protest on the street, blocking the highway. We believe it was a group from one village against either another village or the government due to allowing/not allowing fees for tourists to enter the first group's town while on their way to Agua Azul (don't worry, we were confused too). We were about a mile from where it was, we could hear some of the shouting but were completely safe. It wasn't a dangerous riot, but we were glad to keep our distance. It had started a half hour before we were stopped, and lasted about an hour and half longer. We got out to stretch our legs as we waited for the police to break it up. Finished driving to Palenque, got dinner, walked around (I could do this everyday) and relaxed in Hotel Xibalba for our last night. Unfortunately this is the day that most people started with the upset stomach problems. I was in the minority of people who didn't have problems, thank the Lord. It was definitely an answer to the many prayers of my own, and family and friends back home. A few got pretty sick.
Today March 8th:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Nicole!!! My cousin celebrated her 18th birthday today! Nothing exciting for our group today - just the last eight hours of driving back to Mérida. Despite people being ill, no one had problems while we were on the bus, another answered prayer! It was a relief to be home sweet home nonetheless. I am incredibly thankful I never got carsick or anything else. I started making people jealous as I was able to fall asleep almost immediately upon getting in the bus, and was out for most of the driving. I looked a little ridiculous with my iPod in, regular pillow propping me up in those awkward, bus sleeping positions, my travel neck pillow attempting to avoid muscle cramps, and my eye mask shutting out any daylight, but it got the job done! Great to see my mom, unpack, catch up, make some Skype calls to family, and just collapse.
The overall consensus was that Chiapas provided us with a long weekend of new places and new memories! Enjoyed by all, I'd highly suggest this beautiful area of Mexico to anyone - we saw some marvelous sights! I'll post pictures tomorrow - too tired now, time to get some real sleep!
Check out this link, where I've posted one of my videos from Carnaval!! Sorry about the constant movement - hard to be steady as all the excitement is going on around you, and you're trying to balance on a pole to get a good view!! Carnaval - Mérida, México 2011
Today sadly marks that in exactly two months I'll be back in the States. I love this place, I love what I'm doing, and I love what I'm learning. I cannot imagine what it will be like leaving behind my Mexican home, family, friends and lifestyle. Can't think like that though - instead I get to anticipate the next two months of more grand adventures and exciting new memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment