Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The word on the street is...

Unbearable. It's hot... And I'm proud to report that it's not just the Americans who haven't acclimated to the element. Today five of my Mexican friends said this is some insane heat, they even admitted to be dying a little! Not only does this validate my frequent comments that it is indeed hot, but I also now am concerned that if Mexicans are saying this is hot, what is to come??? I don't think what's going to hit us in April is in my vocabulary yet... it's something I've clearly never experienced :) I have the phrase "No estoy acostumbrada a este clima... es cero grados con nieve en Minnesota ahora!" memorized. Telling whoever brings up the topic of weather that "I'm not used to this weather... it's zero degrees (Celcius) with snow in Minnesota right now!" Tomorrow my weather forecast tells me there will be a high of 104. Not much else to say about that. My mom brought out my hammock today - she says I'll probably be needing it, as Mexicans are beginning to put away their bed sheets, and hang the hammocks.

Today was a busy day - we have a student from Cornell College doing a month here - her name is Juana, and since Cornell does a different class schedule (one class straight for 3.5 weeks), she needs to do a unique study abroad schedule that fits, so Val allowed her to come through Central and work with her. She will just be doing an internship, no classes, and it turns out she's doing it through Sol y Luna so I took her to show her the ropes and help her with the buses. After being home for a few hours I headed back out to go to La Academía, where I had a fantastic night with my students! I organized an activity with my language groups to get to know some more information about them, and for them to practice their English speaking. They love learning, they know knowing about me, they love asking questions about the United States. It's fun! Next week they want me to bring my computer so we can look at pictures of my home, family, MN, Drake, friends, etc!

Today my Spanish tests went well - the first hour's test was pretty long, and we all only completed half of the test which was all analysis of things we've done and read in class, so we had to bring it home to finish. That's what I did for part of my evening, as well as worked on some stuff for next semester at Drake - figuring out my fall schedule, etc. It's a) hard to think/focus on next semester when I'm caught up in this semester b) difficult to talk with advisors and professors from abroad and c) a reality check that reality is coming. Prayers would be appreciated as I work through what seems like an impossible mess of credits, requirements, schedules, etc. I know it will all come together, and as always, God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment