Today it was really wonderful to be back in the swing of things with all my activities!! After class Katelynn and I went to Sol y Luna together. We both intern there, but usually on different days. Since we've missed two weeks now, we're doubling up a little! I may go with her tomorrow too! We walked in to a "Welcome Spring" party! All the kids were dressed up (like a rabbit, a sun, a butterfly, a turtle, etc.) and playing a game (which we never got the hang of... really weird...). Then we got a special snack/treat - it seems that Katelynn and I came on the right day! It was so fun to see the kids again, and the staff too! They were eager to hear about our adventure from Chiapas and Spring Break, and we were happy to hear their parade went well!! We also had to receive some sad news. One of the young boys, although I've never personally met him (as he attends Sol y Luna on a day I'm not there), was diagnosed with cancer. On top of everything else he has in his life, this disease has now been added to the list. Everyone is very very sad, and they're taking up donations to help out the family - who has very few resources. Katelynn and I got to help with a little painting during the later part of our time at Sol y Luna today! They are creating a Bambi mural to hang in one of the classrooms. Little did they know they got two very unexperienced painters - but I think we're off to a good start. The picture was penciled on the fabric, so we just had to paint! Bused myself home for lunch, then worked on a little homework! Went out the door around 4:30 to get to the English Academy where I had a really great time with my language groups!! We discussed what they had been up to the past two weeks, Carnaval, Mexican holidays, family celebrations, beaches, and free time activities! Then the questions were shot back at me and I was asked to compare the American versions time and time again. They are so interested in hearing what it's like in the United States. When we talked about traveling I was a little surprised to discover that most of my students haven't left the Yucatán state. As they asked where I've visited (in Mexico, the US, and the world in general) I was reminded yet again how blessed I have been with parents who support, encourage, and participate in traveling and have shown me so many new and interesting places! The students at the Academy are in love with the fact that I get to spend time with them - they are anxious to share their stories and to hear mine! Today one of the older students asked me, "You're from Minnesota. Do you see the Green Giant a lot?" I was a little confused. Did she mean the Green Giant from Fenway Park? Paul Bunyon? Or the vegetable mascot? "El hombre en las latas de verduras" (The man on the cans of vegetables), since many times they'll switch to Spanish when they can't think of a way to get their ideas across in English. Oh yep, sure enough she indeed was talking about the Green Giant from the canned vegetables. I asked her why this made her think of MN. Her family has done student exchanges before, and once they had a few students from MN and I guess they brought her family cans of Green Giant vegetables. Why? I have no idea. Haha! Another thing that I smile over is the students' constant questioning of which I like better, a certain thing in Mexico, or the equivalent in the US. Often my response is that I love both countries' version and they're both very different and hard to compare. If I ever give Mexico the upper hand, they smile, cheer, get excited, say "thank you, thank you, thank you", or tell me how happy they are. It's like we're keeping score or something!? So yes, a very fun and eventful day getting back to my activities - glad to see all my familiar faces!
No comments:
Post a Comment