Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hello beach, I'm back

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sydney C. today!!! Wishing I were home to celebrate - but certain you had a fantastic day!

Today I made my way to Progreso with four friends! It had been a while, so it was nice to soak up a little sun!! Warm and sunny day, but very very windy! I was covered in sand by the time I made it home, but nothing a shower couldn't fix! I then finished the last of my homework that I have due after break, so that is no longer in my mind! Yeaaa I'm ready for vacation!

Many things in life are relative. The weather for instance... At 70 degrees in Minnesota I'd whip out the shorts and t-shirts, shout for joy, and proclaim "we have a heat wave!". At 70 degrees in Mérida I whip out the jeans and cardigan, shout for joy, and proclaim "we have a beautiful cool evening, I can finally wear these clothes!". It was a nice evening here, so I did indeed get to wear jeans!!! It's been enjoyable these last few days to have cooler weather and not have to melt every time I walk somewhere. Emily, Austin and I went to a taco restaurant that Emily's mom's friend suggested. Sheri (Emily's mom) visited a week ago, and after loving the food there, she left Emily with money to treat some friend, thank you Sheri!!! Tacos al pastor were delicious as always! I can't explain them really - but they're probably the most popular type of taco in most of Mexico, especially here in Mérida. It's usually the type I get whenever I have the chance to order tacos! The meat is prepared in a very unique way (Check it out - Tacos al Pastor), however the picture there will probably gross people out - restaurants take a lot of precautions to prepare the meat. The flavor is delicious, and usually served with pineapple, onions, and in true Mexican style - many salsas. Yummmm!! It was a fun night out!

Tomorrow will be packing day, as I have failed to prepare myself for the island life that is headed my way. Can't wait though :) More details about my trip will come tomorrow!

Ps. A funny moment today as we were walking to the beach. We get off the bus in Progreso and have a 7-10 minute walk to the actual beach. Today Katelynn says as we're walking "Couldn't they drop us off right at the water? It's so much work to actually get to the beach! It's too much work!" Don't worry, there was a touch of sarcasm! We have such a rough life, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment