Sunday, March 27, 2011

Traditions and Routines

I love that I'm at the point where each week isn't a total surprise, or full of unknowns. Of course some afternoons and weekends include new excursions or spontaneous adventures, but I'm at the point where I have my routine. This is what reminds me that we're not just passing through, we're not just tourists here for a week or two, but instead this is our life here, this is our home. I know that on Sundays I'll have Pollo Rico for lunch. Mondays I'll go to La Gran Michocana for ice cream. Tuesdays I have my internship and volunteer jobs. Wednesdays I'll usually do laundry, then I'll make my dinner to go, and eat it at the Central House before I learn new dance moves. Thursdays I'll fill my free afternoon with some sort of activity. Friday or Saturday I'll go to the beach. I know to be home for lunch at 1:30. I know I'll be drinking fresh squeezed orange juice every morning for breakfast. I know Pati will be watching her telenovelas certain days when I come home from school. I know Ana will start each day in Spanish class by asking us how are afternoons were the day before. I can expect my security guard friend who watches a house down the street, to greet me when I walk by. I know the huge German Shepherd will bark when I pass him on the way to school in the morning. I know I'll smell some tasty Yucatecan dish cooking when I enter the house after school. I will see Carlos sweeping the Central property when I walk into school, always smiling and listening to his music. I know to have small change, because for one, things are not too expensive here, and secondly tipping is done frequently here. I know it takes five minutes to get to El Circuito, five more to La Glorieta, and five more to Central. I have become immune to the vendors and restaurants begging for our business when we visit the beach at Progreso. I know how to find the perfect hammock, and lay in one, correctly. I know to walk under the "pooping trees" quickly - the row of five trees that are filled with hundreds of birds at night. I know the ins and outs of bargaining. I now look for the three-legged dog, and three-legged cat that usually stroll the street at night. I am not phased by the honks as I walk down El Circuito or El Paseo. I know how to navigate the bus system. I know Roberto comes Saturday mornings to clean our home. I now think in Pesos, not US Dollars. I know about a part of Mexico that I barely knew existed two months ago.

It's fun being a temporary local!! Today I spent the day doing homework things, hanging around home, watching Beethoven with my mom, reading El Diario de Yucatán (the Star Tribune newspaper of the Yucatán), hanging out with friends, and studying and preparing for a few tests this week. Of course I had Pollo Rico for lunch! Val left this morning for Pella (Iowa) and later Boston - to visit Central's campus for a director's conference, and then go to Boston for some other study abroad type event/meeting. She won't be back until April 10th, so for the next two weeks we are in Claudina (the administrator)'s hands. This week should be a normal one, with increasing heat of course, and I'll stay busy with my usual activities. There will be a few fun and exciting things taking place which I'll keep you up to date on! After a fun and relaxing weekend, it's time to get into the school mode once again!

This I grabbed off my computer's screen
See, I'm not lying!

No comments:

Post a Comment