Friday, March 25, 2011

I Love China

Another wonderful day filled with such a variety!! After some hot cakes (as they're called here - but pronounced hoat or hote cakes... which I rarely remember to say) for breakfast, Katelynn and I decided it was time to brave the heat and explore. We dressed in a way that would be the least unbearable when the sweat came, and headed out. We ended up at Gran Plaza - a mall about two and a half miles away! We were just trucking along and once we got far enough, we figured we may as well keep going! It was really fun to see some places along the way that we usually just fly by on a bus or car, and we enjoyed looking around the mall! We took the easy way out, and rode the bus home, more or less because we were on a time crunch! I quickly showered, ate lunch, and then walked over to the Central House. This afternoon I helped Val interview four Mexican university students who were applying to be language assistants at Central College (the actual campus in Pella, IA) next year. There was a panel of myself and three other study abroad program students, who talked in Spanish and English to gage who would be best for the position. I fell in love with them all, but we had to make a decision since only three could be accepted. I told the students who actually attend Central during the usual school year, that they need to send these language assistants to Minneapolis and I'll show them around - they are such sweet people, eager to help, learn about the US, and share their skills! I think they'll do wonderful at Central next year! Then it was a quick turn around as Kayla, Katelynn, and I went downtown to see a play that was at Casa de la Cultura. A student that Katelynn teaches at La Academia (English school) was in the production so we went to support her! It was a bit of an odd thing, a few short plays, most of which we were pretty sure we wouldn't have even followed if they were in English - but an experience nonetheless! After we went to dinner at a cute little restaurant near Plaza Grande downtown. After walking around a bit, we took the bus back to the Central House. There we hung out with the China program director, Shumin and became fascinated with the Chinese language and culture - it is some crazy stuff. We had her translate our names into Chinese characters, and it turns out mine is equal to "beautiful horse" - I was born in the year of the horse... Coincidence? I think not :) I've never had a huge desire to go to China - but after tonight I'm all for a trip!! Shumin wants me to study abroad there on her program, but I'm not so sure about that! An all around good and busy day!! Tomorrow will most definitely be a beach day! Here are some picture I thought I'd share.

Me, Shumin, Katelynn - with our Chinese knot decorations,
and information about our names in Chinese
Looking right out our gate at my house
Looking down the street (the black gate on the left is my house)
My house (the machines are generators my brother rents for his business)

No comments:

Post a Comment