Monday, March 21, 2011

I'm spoiled!

The alarm was a rude awakening at 4:03am this morning (I have a thing about waking up on odd numbered minutes) but I made the trek to school where eight students and Val loaded in the van to go to Dzibilchaltún. I asked Ana how to pronounce it - Zee-bee-shawl-toon. In short, the Spring Equinox was a little different than I had expected. I guess I knew I was going to watch the sun essentially just shine through a hole in a Mayan pyramid - but for some reason I was expecting something crazy! We were greeted by hoards (HOARDS) of people - I felt like I was going to the MN State Fair as thousands of people entered in, still a little dark out, sporting like jackets - I was waiting for my cheese curds and pronto pup... but no luck. I can't lie, the atmosphere of this event was really exciting - people were pumped! It helped that today is a national holiday here in Mexico, for Benito Juarez, so I think more people came out. Anyways, the actual event of the sun peeking through the "hole" or window, wasn't too amazing and hard to get a picture of, but the time after was sweet! The sun was gorgeous with its burning colors, and the contrast of the dark ruin was neat to see! Again, hard to get nice pictures since I was dodging heads and arms raised in the air (I think they were praying/praising the sun god maybe?). I'll share a few shots! Since the gates were SO crowded, and a huge line was still formed outside when we arrived, they didn't charge us admission so that we could get in to the ruins before the whole thing happened. This turned into a few benefits 1) We didn't have to wait in the line as long and 2) We used the money we saved to go out to breakfast! Thanks Val! The nine of us went to VIPs for a pre-class feast! Then back to class we went! Easy breezy day! After class I was spoiled for a second time. Katelynn's parents and grandma have been in Mérida for a week, and today after class they were going out to lunch and invited me to come along!!! La Parrilla served up a feast! It was nice to meet Katelynn's family, one of my best friends here in Mérida! Spent the afternoon doing homework, spending some time with my mom, Skyping my sister, and taking care of a few odds and ends! Lovely day, not to mention it wasn't unbearably hot! Yea!

I want to share a little about what I've been learning in class and something that's sparked a new passion! Before break in my Understanding Contemporary Mexico culture class we had to read an article (if you have the time, I suggest taking a read.. hard stuff, but good stuff) that really impacted my view on the issue. Today in class we discussed it - the issue is so incredibly gross and appalling, and there is a growing need to help those impacted by both sexual slavery and other types of human trafficking. It's worth the time to understand that this heinous industry is happening within our borders, and sometimes literally - right next door. The article is about sex trafficking but here are some insane facts about human trafficking (officially, Trafficking In People (TIP)) that I learned today: - In the US the division of trafficking is: 47% prostitution, 27% domestic workers, 10% agricultural workers, and 17% others (illegal "adoption", religious cults, mail order brides, child soldiers, etc.) - Many times those being trafficked are victims of their own families. Their families are the ones involved in selling them and they're aware of the slavery conditions they'll subject their 'loved ones' to. - Worldwide profit for trafficking people is 5-9 BILLION dollars. Startling facts. I think if working in Psychology with developmental disabilities doesn't work out, I could find myself doing something along the lines of working to help those impacted by TIP. There's certainly a need. Here is a link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/magazine/25SEXTRAFFIC.html 


Sorry for such a heavy topic, but something that must be brought into the light!
On a happier note, here are some pictures from this morning!


Upon arriving to the ruins
The crowd
Austin at I with Dzibilchaltún in the background
Here comes the sun
The phenomenon 
The pretty sun afterwards
My favorite picture of the day
And all before 6:30 am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment