Monday, March 14, 2011

On the island!

Emily and I have made it to Isla Holbox!!! Took the taxi from the Central House at 6am, had about a half hour in the ADO bus terminal before departing at 7am! It was a nice, comfortable bus, and the trip went well - I slept most of the way!! In Cancun we had about two hours, so we bought our next ticket to Chiquila, and then sat and relaxed while having a snack! Unfortunately the bus from Cancun to Chiquila does make some stops to pick up others, so it wasn't quite as direct, but still I was able to sleep most of the way (I've gotten good at this whole road traveling thing!!). In Chiquila we jumped on a ferry to the island, with many people from our bus. It was about a half hour trip, and I talked with a traveler from Argentina - he insisted on speaking Spanish!! The island blew us away right off the bat, we caught a golf cart "taxi" that took us to our brightly colored oasis, the Tribu Hostel. It's really a neat place, lots of space, many places to relax, great views off of the third floor terraces, and our room is quaint but very clean and nice! I think we will enjoy our time here. There are many amenities, including a full and very well stocked kitchen, so during our stroll through town we stopped at a mini-mart store to buy tortillas, cheese, beans, and salsa - which we prepared for dinner and ate on the lovely balcony! Sat and enjoyed the Gulf breeze, played cards, listened to many languages around us, and soaked up all the tranquility here! The hostel is owned by what we believe are Australians - young people, very friendly! Most of the people staying here seem to be from Europe - and there are quite a few people!!! More to come later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment