I'm spending the Spring semester in Mérida, México - the capital of the Yucatán state. I'll be taking classes, living with a host family, and becoming immersed in the Mexican culture! Follow me as I live out this exciting adventure and I'll keep you 'in the know' as I learn new things and go new places!
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Island life is the good life!
This morning Emily and I whipped up quesadillas for breakfast :) Anything is normal in Mexico! Then we spent a few hours walking through town, checking out some shops, and then spent a long time just on the beach, walking and playing in the sand (20 years old? No way!). We had to meander back to our hostel where we checked out, caught a golf cart taxi and headed to our hotel, Hotel Casa Barbara. Like I mentioned before, we decided to split our stay between hostel and hotel, to get the best of both worlds. Had we known the Tribu Hostel was going to be so pleasant, we may have stayed there the whole week, but we're glad we checked out Hotel Casa Barbara too!! Lovely pool, amazing scenery, cool layout/design, King sized bed, more spacious, we get soap and towels :), did I mention a pool? We quickly jumped into the pool since the island heat had gotten the best of us. Then we headed to the beach (not a bad trade-off, huh?) where we both read our books, walked the shore, and swam a little. I napped - and I've noticed throughout the semester, I always have very vivid and peculiar dreams when I'm at the beach. Riddle me that, Freud! Emily and I have found one of our new favorite activities while here on Isla Holbox. People watching at its finest - but this time not only do we get to observe the people, but we work to try (keyword) and figure out where in the world (literally) they're from, and how they're all related, what they're doing, etc. It's been fun, and challenging. Gotta keep our brains working somehow, right?! :) Headed back to the hotel, showered and changed, then strolled the town. I know, it seems like that's all we do - but this place is really interesting to us, so we're content checking it all out. Had dinner on the beach, I had tortilla soup!!! Major highlight! Delicious! Walked on the shore some more (another thing that doesn't get old) then got ice cream (coconut, my new favorite since arriving here in Mexico) and ate it at the park in the center of the "downtown" area here. It's really fun, they have a really big area with multiple play things, some you pay to use, some arcade and carnival type games, and a basketball court. I think it's to keep the kids of the island out of trouble, since there isn't a whole lot to do - and it seems to be a popular place! Another great day, we're making plans and lists of all we want to do before departing! Only half way through, but we can't miss out on anything!! Night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment