Thursday, March 3, 2011

Did I go to school today?

Every Thursday right around two in the afternoon I forget that I was ever even in class that morning... I enjoy these extra long weekends!!! Today I had lots to do so I greatly appreciated the freedom I had!

After class I went with Katelynn to the salon, where she got a pedicure (I'm waiting to get mine right before Spring Break!). Then we headed to the optics store, because one of my pairs of sunglasses lost its screw, so I went in and asked if they could replace it. They were super helpful and friendly (summary of all the people here) and quickly sent me on my way with my shades in working order!! For Chiapas we are bringing a good chunk of spending money, as there will be a lot offered at the different places we go, and Val suggests this is the place we do the majority of our shopping for the entire semester. So I went to the bank and got smaller bills, because vendors often don't have change. Home for a delicious traditional Yucatecan lunch, then spent some time getting organized and packed! Got everything all lined up for tomorrow's departure to Chiapas - and I'm really really excited! This afternoon I went to Mega to pick up a waterproof camera (thought it'd be nice for a few of our stops this weekend, and Spring Break) before it was off to Carnaval! WOW WOW WOW - I had so much fun today at the Children's Parade. It was beautiful, fun, amazing! The picture A) Don't do it justice B) Get a little repetitive and C) Capture a lot of the same peoples' heads over and over. But it was really tricky to get a good place to watch, so standing on a bench and railing, trying to balance, was as good as we could get. Trust me... it was insanely fun! The kids were all precious, no surprise, and had extravagant costumes on. I began to feel bad for the different teachers/leaders of the kids' groups - as I think they did more dancing than the kids themselves. I'm sure they put so much time and thought into the moves and whole day, but when you have 5 and 6 year olds around thousands of people, flying candy, and loud music - they don't always seem to cooperate as planned! They get points for trying though, and being cute! You'll see in pictures/video, that even kids just coming to watch dressed up - there was such a high level of energy!! Mérida puts on quite the show, and they have put a lot of organization into this whole event. It's a bummer we won't be in town for more of the festivities, but I guess I'll just have to come back another year :) Here's a video clip of the parade: Carnaval - Mérida, México 2011

I never get to bed as early as I hope... but 3 hours and 15 minutes of sleep will just have to do! Val is picking me up at 4 in the morning. She's picking up girls that live farther away from school and usually take a bus, but since it's so early the buses won't be running, and will swing by to grab me since I live the farthest away (of the walking students). We'll have an optional breakfast at the house all together at 4:30 and be on the road at 5. We'll take a few stops, but drive for eight hours before stopping in Palenche. There we will visit Mayan ruins, and spend the night. Saturday morning we'll be back on the road to finish our journey. Looking forward to this crazy adventure, praying for our health and safety, anticipating the air conditioned hotel room, and ready to dominate some more Mayan ruins. We're getting good at that!

I think my mom is sad I'm leaving her... She said goodbye to me tonight, and offered to get up to make breakfast, but I insisted she just sleep, plus I'll eat at the house! I don't doubt she'll still squeeze a glass of orange juice tonight and stick it in the fridge. She's so hospitable - and made sure to remind me to take absolutely whatever my heart desires for snacks for the ride! For all of you who know me - I'm a girl with the munchies, so I guess I'll have to take her up on the offer! The three Canadians will leave Sunday morning, and then she'll be able to relax. These three have been a much busier group than the last two, so she's looking forward to resting!! 

I don't believe I'll have internet access until I'm back home Tuesday night, so I'll catch up with everything then! Take care, have a fun and safe weekend! Off to bed I go... Luckily we'll have lots of time to sleep in the van :)


The dazzling costumes!
We were able to see well - my feet however were not happy standing on skinny bars!
The little ones reppin' the USA
I FOUND WALDO!!!!! I knew he'd be in Mexico...
SO much color!!!
Saying goodbye to Carnaval :(

No comments:

Post a Comment