Today was hot. Oops - I'm trying to not bring it up, but the thermometer is too hard to deny. Wowzers!
We met as a large group during our normal class time with Val to discuss plans for our play. Usually Val will have each student write a long research paper about a contemporary Mexican issue. Way back in the beginning however, we read the story The Corn Grows Ripe and while visiting the real milpa in the village of Tinum, I made a few jokes about us producing a Broadway musical based on the events of the story, after receiving firsthand experiences with the Mayans. It all started when I was belching "In the milpa the mighty milpa the Mayans sleep tonight". Val quickly caught on to the idea... At first we thought she was joking, but turns out she was absolutely serious. Now instead of us all writing papers for the final, we will be performing The Corn Grows Ripe adorned with a few songs and choreography, costumes, etc. Each of us have parts, and I'm in charge of making the songs (changing lyrics from current songs to be more milpa or corn related... rock on)! I'll also be playing the part of Tigre (the main character)'s mother. Hold the applause... I have like three lines. It's been fun so far, and I'm happy to say it wasn't until now that we're facing the most stress between our group! Not bad! So while Val's away, and we don't have our Contemporary Mexico class as usual, we are cramming to make progress! The plan is to perform this play during our final week here, and invite al of the host families, staff, teachers, etc. What have we gotten ourselves into??
This afternoon Katelynn came over and watched The Three Amigos, a movie with Steve Martin. It was awful - sooooo weird. Haha, it was entertaining because we're in Mexico, etc. But nothing I need to see again :) Later tonight my mom says to me "How was the movie? They sure did portray Mexico in an interesting way!" Yes indeed.
Tomorrow I have the written portion of my Spanish exam - not too worried, but spent some time studying nonetheless! I have also been preparing myself for the journey and walking I'll do downtown tomorrow in the heat to get to my internship and volunteering, watch out heat!
No comments:
Post a Comment