Monday, February 28, 2011

Topes < Dramamine

Today we were back at it! It got up to 98 degrees, and rising (anyone remember the 90s boy band?) so needless to say the hair was up in one of my infamous high buns. The loose skirt and tank top also made their appearances. Today in Understanding Contemporary Mexico we spent the whole class talking about Chiapas!! It's going to be really cool - with lots of free time to explore, some interesting sites, but unfortunately many topes. Tope - the root of all evil - is the Spanish word for speed bumps. Val says she's many-a-time thought of opening a tope museum along the road to Chiapas, as she's never seen such a variety of topes, nor an overabundance. Yeaa hoooo! At least she gave us a heads up I suppose! She suggested that we all have our supply of Dramamine ready. BUT after all of this she repeatedly stressed that all the topes are worth arriving at our destination. This is her favorite place, and many students' favorite part of the semester! Chiapas is at a higher elevation, 7,000 feet above sea level, compared to here in Mérida where it's somewhere around 20 feet - this should provide us with a little bit of "cooler" weather, which I think we'll all take!

I'm convinced that La Gran Michocana will be in heaven. The ice cream shop that Katelynn and I have made a Monday tradition never ceases to exceed my expectations. Today I went with half coco, half fresa (coconut, strawberry) - the best combo I've had there (or ever really!). It's been decided that coco is our go-to flavor, and from now on we'll probably get that along with some new flavor our taste buds have never had the pleasure of trying! This is good stuff. You all may consider visiting just so I can take you there... And if any of you come, I'll treat... At less than a dollar a visit, I'm a big spender, I know :) You're all booking your tickets now, I'm sure. If not, continue reading...

Three new Canadians arrived today - these students seem more confident in their Spanish, and a little more outgoing, so we'll see if I'm able to spend any more time with them! Emily S. and I got together this afternoon to plan our Spring Break! We've decided on Isla Holbox (pronounced Hole-bosh) which is an island near the Northeast part of the peninsula. From what we've heard from people who have referred us, and what we've read from various sources, this is a paradise of relaxation and slow pace. The island is only 7 miles long and 1 mile wide, home to 1,500 people. There are no asphalt roads, only sand. There are no cars, only golf carts and bikes. This is going to be wonderful. We're going to spend Monday - Saturday there, although our break starts on that Thursday before, we'll spend the first few days here in the city hopefully doing a few things we haven't had the opportunity to do before! We're going to stay part of the time in Holbox in a hostel and part in a hotel. Both locations we found seem really nice and cute! Our trip will be upon us sooner than I can learn to pronounce Holbox without stuttering (I tend to say Hole-box), as we leave March 14th!

Tonight I ran to Mega (superstore) with a friend to pick up a few things, along with a supply of Dramamine - so we're now prepared for anything those topes throw at us. And as I titled this post, Dramamine will come out on top of this battle. Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment