I just have to share with you one of my many luxuries again here in Mérida. Fresh squeezed orange juice. First of all, even if you wanted to buy it, it's WAY cheaper than in the States, but why would you drink it out of a box when your host mom makes it fresh each morning? Without fail, there is a tall glass of Vitamin-C waiting for me each day. If she has to leave before I get up, it's sitting in the fridge for when I come down for breakfast. It continues to blow my mind!! We have a massive basket of oranges sitting in our kitchen, always in full supply! For a girl who usually can't handle any pulp in her juice, this tangy (and incredibly pulpy) treat puts a smile on my face as I head out the door!
It was a PERFECT day at Progreso today!! Almost all of our group went to celebrate Sawyer's birthday! The beach is a wonderful thing, in that going three days in a row doesn't get old at all :) I resisted the temptation of buying from any of the vendors selling their treats and stuck with the lunch that my mom and I packed this morning! Nutella is good, but a Nutella sandwich on the beach is the best!
While living at the Central House during our first week here, Val was introducing us to all the staff, which includes the cooks, doorman, cleaners, grounds keeper, etc. She wanted to make sure we appreciate the service we were about to receive - because like she said, "This will likely be the last time someone will make your bed, clean your toilet, do your laundry, or make your meals. So enjoy it!" It's true. Even here at my host home, we have our cleaner who comes every Saturday and I am so appreciative of his work! He gets our place looking spick and span, and even though I keep my room clean, he's good at getting it all organized and shiny :) It was weird at first for me to accept the help. I make my bed here at my house, but at the Central House Val said to let the staff do their work, as a sign of respect (seemed a little twisted!), and have them make our bed. It was hard for me to just hop out of bed and leave everything thrown apart. This is yet another cultural adaptation. Nearly anyone with a decent income has people come into their home to do different service jobs. It's very normal here, and not as much of a sign of wealth and riches as it is often seen in the States. My sister Montse and her family even has a young lady who lives with them and helps them out, which caught me off guard the first time she came over with them to our house for lunch, and did all of our dishes, etc. Again, just one of those things that is different between the two cultures!!
Tonight a bunch of us went out to celebrate Sawyer's birthday some more! We were going to attempt to hit the dance floor, but decided we better wait until Veronica teaches us a little more during our dance class :) The type of dance they were doing wasn't quite up our alley - and let's just say there were three small children with more skill than all of us probably! Fun night!
No comments:
Post a Comment