Monday, February 7, 2011

Blogería

Lavandería, Taquería, Panadería, Tortería, Florería, Tintorería and the list could go on... What seems to be a popular way to name your store/business here is take the name of what you're selling/service is, and add -eria! So consider this your Blogeria! It's fun, makes things convenient, and if you're looking for something in particular - it provides a clue!! I love all the little stores, shops, and stops here. So colorful, and so personalized. Everyone is incredibly proud of their work here, so the many individually or family owned businesses are great places to go! I think Mexico must be one of the top consumers of paint, seeing as everything has a hand painted sign or something - and they always pick the most exciting and vibrant colors! Houses, cars, buildings, gates, billboards, flags, are all adorned with colors that make everything pop, many times making what could have been a boring walk across town much more interesting! I think some places in the US could use a little splash of this Mexican creativity!

Today was just a usual Monday- classes, time at home, homework, and then tonight a few people went to Mega and back to Central to hang out! A low key and fun evening!! It's pretty cool here this evening with a decent amount of breeze! I think some rain or something is coming in, as it seems the winds are pushing the clouds over, and we had a few very light sprinkles tonight. I'm in a tough position

This weekend I'll be spending Friday - Sunday in Tinum, a small village about two hours mostly east and a little south of Merida. I cannot wait. It'll be a new and very unique opportunity to stay with a Mayan family, and learn more about the culture that has impacted life in the Yucatan. Unlike the Aztecs, the Mayans are still alive and well today along with their traditions and lifestyle. I'll report more soon on exactly what we'll be doing and what the area is like, but this weekend to prepare and start a discussion in our culture class we had to read The Corn Grows Ripe (An easy and informative read - I recommend it!). It's a children's book that was written in the late 1950s about a young Mayan boy, his family, and a story of how their life revolves around the corn crop. A milpa is where corn is harvested, and the life of most Mayans truly revolve around the milpa and corn crop. It was hard to remind myself that this story doesn't just reflect something that occurred a long time ago, but that it is indeed still practiced today. Living in thatch roofed huts, sleeping in hammocks, walking long distances to get to the field, grinding corn to make tortillas, cooking over a fire, using outhouses, wearing huipils (the traditional white embroidered blouses or dresses), and working rather than going to school is the life for modern day Mayans. We'll be witnessing this all firsthand and I look forward to the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment