Tuesday, February 1, 2011

An Elegant Adventure!

Today was the first true day of Spanish - and I really enjoyed it! Ana (my professor) is the sweetest lady! I have Spanish Monday - Thursday from 8:30 to 9:20 and another class 9:30 to 10:20. Mondays I also have Understanding Contemporary Mexico at 12 to 1:20, and on Wednesdays I have Latin Dance from 7:30 to 8:30pm. I'll be a native English speaker and help the students at the English Academy Tuesday nights, and I am still deciding when I'll do my internship at Sol y Luna. Probably Wednesdays. Sol y Luna is a quaint little place, doing the best they can with what they have. It was founded by a woman from the Netherlands in 1999. The lady who gave us a tour was very kind and explained all about how things work there. We got to meet some of the kids - a little heart-wrenching, but very sweet kids. So enthusiastic. An encouraging thing was that many moms are involved in their child's learning process, so they can implement things at home!


This morning at breakfast Patricia asked me if I'd like to go to a concert. I said of course - I want to be able to experience as much as I can while I'm here! She then explained that she wasn't going to the concert because it's too late for her, but I could go by myself! My initial reaction was 'yikes, no way'! Turns out it was a benefit dinner and concert for a home that Patricia volunteers or works at. It's for disadvantaged teenagers and is run by a few nuns - tonight the concert (a symphonic orchestra) and dinner raised money for their facility and programming. She explained that if a friend wanted to come with me, they could purchase a ticket at the door but I saw on the ticket it was $250.00 pesos. So today at school I went to Val's office to ask if she knew exactly where this place was, etc. She was immediately in awe - the place where the dinner and concert were held was gorgeous and she has always wanted to get inside - it's called Quinta Montes Molina, a fancy event center in Merida. Take a look at Quinta Montes Molina here. Val was bummed because she wasn't able to commit to going with me since it started at 8 and she had an appointment. 250 pesos is a pricey ordeal for a college student, so Val was incredibly generous in offering to pay for another student to attend the event tonight with me. She was sure to inform me that the classiest attire I brought with me would be best, heels if possible, and slap on a little lipstick :) 


La Quinta Montes Molena from the back
Myself (rockin' the shawl), Katelynn, & Emily

Quinta Montes Molina was magnificent. Wow - so pretty, as you can see! Emily and Katelynn both came with me and we really enjoyed it. The event was held outside in the courtyard, such a beautiful night! We got to sit around and chat, the young adults symphonic orchestra played great music, and the dinner was overwhelming!! The money raised tonight went to support the renovations made at the home for the teens. We had to observe a cultural difference - Mexicans party 'til the wee hours of the night. This event didn't start until 8 - we didn't begin dinner until 9:45! 


Other than the exciting outing, this afternoon I spent time working on some Spanish homework! Also had a great afternoon with Patricia - as I showed her a slideshow of pictures from home, explained who everyone is, and then she showed me some pictures of her own! It was exciting to learn more about each others' lives. I also gave her the host gifts my parents bought for me to bring her - she was so appreciate and soon had on her Twin Cities t-shirt! She's excited to have the blueberry jam tomorrow for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! That place you saw the concert looks beautiful! Also, you are taking a Latin Dance class? Do you actually learn the dances? Because that sounds like so much fun!!! You'll have to teach us when you are back... I hope you are having a wonderful time. We all love you, miss you and are praying for your time there!

    ReplyDelete