Thursday, February 17, 2011

Living their life

Today I attempted to be more of a local, as we stayed out late into the night!!

Austin, Katelynn and I spent most of the day at the beach, where we met up with Austin's family! A nice and relaxing day, beautiful sunshine, and the perfect breeze! I also received a wonderful white gift from a bird on my arm! I suppose it was bound to happen one of these days, as hundreds hover above our beach towels!

I got home and took a much needed shower and then Patricia came into my room and very excitedly asked me if I wanted to eat dinner! She was  really enthusiastic about sharing a yucatecan favorite - which were delicious tacos prepared with a special salsa and a few different 'fillers' for meats! I've really enjoyed meal times with my mom - not only are they tasty - but it's around the kitchen table that we have the greatest conversations! I told her that I want a recipe book from her before I leave this oasis, and I think we're going to try and cook together so I can learn (and she can laugh!) when possible! Tonight at dinner my mom also shared that the two students staying with us starting Monday are from Canada, and are 13 and 14 years old. She's expecting quite the experience with such young guests, and we both were laughing a lot as we planned for what's ahead! Patricia's changing the menu a bit for the "juvenile taste buds" as she called them - but hamburgers are on that list (which I've been craving), so I'm excited! The students will be here Monday - Saturday, and the following Monday three students of the same ages will come the next week.

So yes, tonight we lived the life of the locals as we stayed out late until 2:30am. Still not as late as the Mexicans, but we've got to take things slow :) A group of five of us went to karaoke tonight!! We took our first taxi ride here in Merida to Elixir - a restaurant and karaoke stage down El Paseo. The night started out slow, as Katelynn and I reluctantly picked up the mics to sing 'Baby' by Justin Bieber (which they downloaded/bought after we requested it!). I don't think we had even gotten to the first line and we were beyond loving it!! We provided the full show as we danced and made complete fools of ourselves! That got the ball rolling and we continued to sing songs by Mariah Carey, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and some others! It was really fun! There was a group of people who came in a while after we had been at Elixir and we sort of took turns singing songs. One girl came up to our table and asked where we were from - she's a student here from Germany. We ended up hanging out with the group of mostly Mexican young adults, and the two Germans. Great to get that local interaction, and socialize with more people of our age!! Now I have sore feet, exhausted vocal cords, and can't wait to sleep in!


"BABY BABY BABY OHHHHHHH" - J.Biebs
Backstreet Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment