***This was the message I meant to originally post on Thursday, but due to rain the internet was down. I adjusted the date for my own bookkeeping sake, so here it is!***
Absolutely nothing – but they’re all things on my mind today!!
Today we watched a movie in my Spanish class called La Misma Luna, and it’s also in the US with the translated title of Under The Same Moon. It’s a well-made movie with an important political context as it covers the idea of illegal immigration from Mexico to the United States, but follows the story of a mother and son. I’d recommend it! I really enjoyed it and our goal was to gain further understanding of the immigration debate, as we are following the topic in our textbook and class discussion. We’ve read articles from both sides of the issue, and it truly makes a person think. So many emotions and factors are involved, and it truly is heart wrenching. It’s something I try hard not to be closed-minded about, and I work to see everyone’s point-of-view. I think it will be intriguing to go further into the topic with my Understanding Contemporary Mexico class, as I learn about it from this side of the border. Ana made us popcorn, which was so cute, even though it was 8:30 in the morning!
Went downtown this afternoon to do a little exploring and a little shopping for a friend. We found a really cute and inexpensive clothing store where I’ll probably do a little damage in the future! El Centro amazes me – it’s so colorful, so lively, and I think you can always find something new to look at, try, or go to!
I spent some of my afternoon packing up my bag for Tinum. Our group will leave at 7:30am so it’s going to be a very early morning, which is why I’m getting to bed as quickly as possible tonight!! We were instructed to not bring much at all, and can you believe it Mom? I actually listened! We’re rough n’ toughin’ it this weekend, and as long as we all are onboard with the idea, no one will be the gross one that stands (or smells) out :) So in my bag is my hammock, a toothbrush (one of the only toiletries coming along), keen sandals, hiking pants, two t-shirts, some wipes (because who takes showers anymore?), gifts for my host family, a journal and my Bible, bug spray (top priority), sunscreen, some toilet paper, and a hat and headband (to attempt to control the hair problems that I foresee occurring). I am really looking forward to the time in the Mayan village! Today Val told me a little about who I’ll be staying with - an older women and her grandchildren (she’s not sure if the daughter lives with them or in a separate place). The woman makes hammocks for her living, which is very popular in Tinum – and they are gorgeous hammocks (we saw them our first week during the hammock demonstration) so I hope to be able to watch one being made! Val gave a little chuckle as she said “…And oh yes, you got ‘very rustic’ as you requested!” When we turned in our questionnaires to place us with our families, we selected what type of living arrangements we’d be comfortable with. I pretty much checked “whatever” or “I don’t care” all the way down the list – so with that being said, we’ll see what happens this weekend!
Before we arrive in Tinum tomorrow we will be going to Chichen Itza, a site of Mayan ruins and pyramids. Google it and you’ll discover that is one of the 7 modern wonders of the world!!! I’ve been told it’s absolutely gorgeous, and we’ll also have the opportunity to shop in a large market there.
I hope you all have a great weekend, and I look forward to updating you all on my experience when I return! HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Papa Madsen on Saturday, and my favorite brother-in-law Josh on Sunday!! Wish I were home to celebrate, but I know you’ll both have fabulous days! Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment