Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's excursion time!

Today my Spanish oral presentation went really well! I'm happy with how I did, and Ana LOVED learning about my home and family (she thinks we're all young and beautiful... how about that Madsens/Parsons'?) Ana is seriously such a great teacher. In what other class is it a good thing to have your paper covered with red pen? Ana is always sure to compliment you, leave encouragement, and comment on what you did well, instead of simply making marks and circling errors! Today she needed to make a phone call to a doctor for her sister who is sick with cancer. But why would she leave the room and make the call when she could make it a learning moment? Who needs privacy? Ana simply dialed up the doctor, and told us to take notes during her conversation and after we discussed exactly what happened. So we did! A little funny.

Today Emily S., her mom (who's visiting) and I went downtown to a travel agency to try to figure out some Spring Break plans for the two of us. We've been trying to figure out a trip but details keep falling through. We're thinking we'll probably just plan something ourselves - hopefully to a beautiful little beach town :) It was encouraging when talking with the travel agent in Spanish was easier than in English - seems like we're catching on!

I finished up the majority of my homework today, took a siesta, watched the Dennis the Menace movie in Spanish, and talked with Patricia! Low-key day as I get ready for a full day on an excursion tomorrow to Campeche! We're leaving the Central House at 7am and will be gone until 7pm! Here you can learn a little about one of the stops we'll be visiting: Edzna - One piece of trivia:  Several scenes from the movie Apacalypto were filmed on site.  Many structures from Edzna were recreated as part of the backgrounds/scenery. If only this was a movie I've actually seen... Well now it looks like I have a reason to watch it! Campeche is a Mexican state that borders the Yucatan to the west. It's known for it's beauty (isn't everywhere around here beautiful?), Mayan ruins, and pirate remains (or whatever the technical term may be...). It'll be fun to get out and about, see a new area of Mexico, and hopefully learn something new! I'm sure I'll have more to report tomorrow! 


So for now, Adiós. Or as pirates say, Arrrrrrrrgh-diós. Okay, that was really bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment