Saturday, February 26, 2011

SALSA!!!

Today was a day with a great variety of activities!! This morning I went to The Italian Coffee Company (no, I didn't translate it... that's actually what it's called) with Katelynn to work on homework and get caught up on some things! It's a really nice environment, and air conditioned :) I spent the afternoon at home! For dinner my mom ordered a "taco party" from a delicious restaurant near our house. It comes with tortillas, a variety of meats, toppings/fillers, and so many salsas! She also made fresh pineapple juice, can't beat it! My niece Silvana came over because my mom babysat her, such a cutie - so I got to catch up with my host brother, Porfirio, and his wife Adriana when they dropped her off! Then I got ready to head out for the night! First Kayla, Katelynn and I went to La Cantina. It's a really nice restaurant within walking distance of our houses. The girls ate dinner but just I snacked on the chips and salsas that came out :) It's fabulous food - and all the waiters were so interested in our time here and us learning Spanish, so that was fun! On our way home we stopped at the park for a little fun! Then it was off to the Central House to meet up with Emily S. and move the party to our final destination... Delirio Habanero - a Salsa bar! Emily's mom Sheri has been in town visiting, and her friend Cheri has a daughter who married a man from Mérida. So his family has been taking care of Sheri and Cheri while here, and tonight the mother-in-law (Nancy) and sister-in-law (Natalia) of Cheri's daughter (are you following?) took us out to work on our dancing!! It was incredibly fun, insanely loud, and an absolute riot. It alternated between a live band and a large video screen that played salsa music videos. We observed for a while, as they ordered a few appetizers, and we hydrated ourselves with our Coca Lights, then we hit the dance floor. And we hit it hard :) Us girls whipped out some of our moves from our Latin American dance class, I think we made Veronica proud, and Nancy and Natalia didn't even think we were too bad! The climax of the night wasn't when the owner unleashed a bunch of balloons, and wasn't even when two popular telenovela (soap opera) stars walked in, but when the two lead members of the band asked Katelynn and I to join them on stage! Absolutely hilarious! Salsa songs are painfully long, so there we were up on stage, busting out all sorts of moves. It was such a great evening, and my ears are still ringing! Natalia didn't drop me off until about 2:30am - and the party wasn't close to winding down when the Americans left! Really enjoyed getting out to so many new places today, and I'll probably feel all my dancing tomorrow!

Kayla and I, being kids again!
Cruisin' down the banister at the Central House
Kayla, Katelynn, Me, Natalia, and Emily at Delirio Habanero
Sheri, Cheri, and Nancy
SALSA MADNESS!!

1 comment:

  1. Are all of you ever tempted to sing the song from the Sound of Music . . . "So long, farewell" down the banister!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete