Wednesday, February 2, 2011

El Español y La Danza


I'm feeling on top of my Spanish - it's so nice when I'm able to come home from school, sit at my desk and do my Spanish homework, and that's all the homework I really have. I'm able to truly concentrate on what needs to be done and take it all in, spending more time than at Drake when Katie (my cousin and roommate) and I often had to sit on our futon with little time to complete exercises due to other classes!! I also feel more comfortable to speak a lot in my class here with Ana, which will be so beneficial. She's a sweet woman who wants us to always try and succeed. The conversation comes naturally

Today I learned the verb 'sudar' or, to sweat. It'll most likely come in handy!

Tonight at 7:30 I had my first Latin American Dance class - Poor Victoria, our instructor, stuck with 8 giggly Americans. We were too rowdy when we started so as soon as we started to do the peculiar stretches, we all lost it. We just followed Victoria's lead as she did a few different fun dances, I don't think they were technically classified as anything. Then we did some salsa dancing at the end! We have class outside in the Palapa (very popular here in the Yucatan, you'll see a picture below) so it adds to the experience! It was really exciting and a great workout! I can tell we're going to have a fun time!

I love trying new things - and Mexico has definitely allowed and sometimes forced me to do so - and it's still early! Whether it's the food, activities, schedule, classes, meeting people, or the fact that I'm by myself (sort of... me and nearly 1 million other people here in Merida...) in a new country and culture, there will definitely be many learning experiences and realizations while here!

TOMORROW IS “FRIDAY”!!! In terms of classes here! I could get used to this 4 days of class, 3 days of weekend thing - and short days of classes at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment