First day of school picture - as always!
First thing this morning I had Spanish, which today just consisted of an evaluation to determine where my class needs to begin in lessons, according to our skills. It was mostly written/multiple choice, and when we were finished we met with the two Spanish teachers for my level - Silvia and Ana - to do a short talking exercise to observe our confidence and accent. I think it went well! I had a break so I just hung around the Central House (in case it's gotten confusing, the Central House - or Casa de los Americanos as it's known by the locals - is where I lived during orientation, and where the other students stay who are not with home stays, but for me now it's just my school!). Then I had Understanding Contemporary Mexico which is taught by Val and mandatory for all students. It should be a fun and stimulating class - discussing current affairs/issues and cultural occurrences within the country. It will also coincide with our weekend excursions that we take.
My walk home for lunch was so warm... I was a sweaty mess as I greeted Patricia - I'm not sure she recognized me. Lunch was so tasty - breaded fish, beets, a soup, and salad!! Lunch is the main meal of the day here in Mexico. After spending time around the house and watching the news I went to Alta Brisa (a mall) with 3 other girls. It was a very nice mall, and fun to see another area of town. We had some chuckles as we walked through stores and all the 'summer' clothes were on sale, and the 'new collections' were out - which consisted of sweaters. How they people here do it, I don't know. I often smile to myself, I still can't get over that this is WINTER!
Today was Kaitlan's birthday (girl in our group) so before our culture class we had a party!! The cooks made a traditional birthday cake - SO delicious, with ice cream! Val was a little stressed, and with the first day of classes, it was a great treat! I'm realizing how much I talk and rave about what I eat... Get used to it :) Speaking of food... I don't know if I've touched enough on my love for Nutella. I've had it in the States, but man oh man, I've put it on so many things, and it only gets better every time. Mom, get ready to buy this when I'm home - and any mother reading this, do your kids a favor and get them a treat next time you're at the store :) Anywho, so for Kaitlan's birthday a group of us also went tonight to a restaurant to hang out - and it was great - we jammed to American music (as that's what most places play here... I don't know how many more times we can hear Firework by Katy Perry).
So yes, now that I'm getting used to life in my own house, and with classes, I'm loving it!!!! I have a greater sense of freedom, and I truly am beginning to feel more and more like a Yucateca, or local! I have the confidence to storm across El Paseo (a main street that runs through the city to downtown, with a massive round-a-bout) and can navigate pretty well!
Ooh and a few observations I've been making: 1) Lefty loosey, righty tighty doesn't quite work anymore. For my windows, I have to twist the handles right to open them and left to close them... so much trial and error has been happening! 2) Shower once... you're socially acceptable. Shower twice... you're clean. Showers are so refreshing, and I don't even need warm water anymore!
I took pictures of my house today, but I'll put them up tomorrow. Along with the others I've promised!
Tomorrow I'll visit Sol y Luna, where I plan to do my internship. I'll then be able to get my final schedule figured out! With so much free time during the day it provides opportunity to see and do so much more, we've been making plans for throughout the week. Lots to take in!
Emily--Another first day of school photo for the albums!! I just think you look too grown up!! Recuerdo--Caramba, necisito un cuaderno. Hope you have yours ;-D Love, Mom
ReplyDelete