This morning I got to sleep in a bit again, then packed up my suitcase and bags to get ready to move to my host home. Emily S and I left to walk to Parasina (a fabric store) where Nicole would pick us up for church. We met her so it'd be closer and easier for her to bring us! Worked out well - Nicole has Giovani (2 year old son) and Nayeli (4 year old daughter) as well as her 12 year old sister-in-law who is living with them because the school system is better in Merida than where she's from. Nicole's husband Eliceo has a new job at the airport so he's working very long days. We all rode in their SUV to church (Nayeli sat on my lap - we were fast friends!) and took the kids to sunday school before entering for the service. The building is air conditioned (bingo), and a nice space! I'd say there were around 100 people there, and I'm not sure what the name of the church or denomination is. I think baptist or presbyterian maybe. I was SO happy and proud of myself... I understood most of the service! It's really nice because the worship leader and pastor use PowerPoint, and that helped me follow along a lot! It was great to worship with these people, and I learned wonderful things from the message. We sang 'Lord of All Creation' in Spanish of course, it was very cool! The people in the congregation are so incredibly friendly - I really felt that Mexican hospitality, as everyone came to greet Emily and I, give hugs and kisses, and welcome us to their church! The pastor asked in the beginning if anyone was new/visiting (I think it was obvious... two white girls...), but there was another lady so she introduced herself, and then it was our turn. Nicole stood up with us because she planned to introduce us, but I didn't realize that so I went ahead and started talking! I don't know where that confidence came from :) A few things that stuck out from the message:
- Psalm 8: Check it out, God has really taken care of us!
- Titus 2:11-14: When we rely upon the Lord, we are blessed
- We are sons of the King. We should seek ways we can serve Him. Not ways in which the King can serve us.
- The more pressure we put for our necessities to be our drive and motivation, the center of our life, the more necessities we will create to fill our lives.
After church, Nicole invited Emily and I back to their house to see their place and have lunch! It was so nice of her, and we got to play with Gio and Nayeli - which was really fun! They have a nice place. Nicole really welcomed both of us and offered to get together with us if we ever need it! God has really blessed me with the connection here in Merida! The Sanchez's home was my first home away from home that I was introduced to.
Got back to the Central House, finished packing, and sat around with everyone else getting nervous about moving in with our host families! At 5 they all arrived to pick us up. My mom's name is Patricia. And for the most part, it's just her and I that live in her beautiful home. It's about a 15 minute walk (we'll test it tomorrow for sure) from the Central House (which is now my school). Patricia picked me up in her car, quite possibly the cutest little white vintage beetle! My house is very nice and very big! I have my own big room, with lots of closet space, and my own bathroom! I don't really know what to do with all this room! What fills up part of my backyard you may ask (No... why would you ask? Maybe I'm just hoping you'll ask!), a POOL! But I'm not getting my hopes up. It's not filled now (because it's winter of course :)) and I don't know if she ever fills it. I'll ask Patricia soon - I'm ready for a dip already! I have 3 keys to keep track of here - good news is I'm very safe, bad news is I have to learn how to use them all!! After we moved my luggage in she took me to Mega for grocery shopping where I got to pick out whatever I wanted for lunches/snacks. As many of you know, I'm so indecisive, and not picky with food - so I spent most of the time asking '¿Qué sugieres?' or, what do you suggest? We got back, and I settled into my room. Felt so good to finally be able to take everything out of my suitcase and put it all in it's place! I went downstairs, chatted with Patricia, had a light supper, and watched part of the Parent Trap! Here's what I know about Patricia. She has four grown children; two live in the States (Texas and Tennessee), and two live in Mexico (both in Merida, I think). Three of them are married with kids, and then she has a 25 year old son who lives partially here at our house and partially somewhere else (didn't quite keep that all straight). I think he travels for work. Her son will be back on Saturday so he'll also be living here then! Patricia's dad is very elderly and lives a few blocks away from here. She also has sisters in the area, and doesn't currently have a fixed job due to the economy but has odds and ends (she seems to have a wide range of talents) and keeps busy with things in the community. So this is it! I'm now sitting on my bed (which is pretty firm!!) that will be mine for the next 3+ months! This is my second home away from home here in Merida!
I'll put up pictures of my house soon once I have a chance to take them! I'll also put some miscellaneous photos of the Central House and a few other things.
First day of class tomorrow!! Spanish first thing in the morning at 8:30, and then I have 'Understanding Contemporary Mexico' a required class that we'll all take together, about culture, current affairs, etc. later in the morning! Prayers are continually appreciated for good health, safety, classes, language, relationships, and finding my place here in Merida!
No comments:
Post a Comment