Monday, January 10, 2011

Let's Do This!

Hola a mi familia y mis amigos!

T-minus two weeks!! I will fly out of Minneapolis in 13 days, and I've been in a whirlwind procrastinating the packing process, buzzing around to store buying clothes (Mom says WAY too many, Grandma says not enough), and trying to visit as many friends and family to say goodbyes before I'm Mexico-bound! I'm so incredibly excited for my time in Merida, and look forward to sharing my experiences with you! The one thing I'm waiting anxiously for, is to hear from Val (the resident director through Central College who lives in Merida) about my host family placement. We were told we'd hear in January - and in reality knowing or not knowing doesn't make a huge difference, because the only thing I'll gain when I find out who I'll be living with is maybe seeing a picture, or at least knowing who makes up my family. Hoping for host sisters/brothers, and no cats :) Hoping my Spanish is sturdy enough to keep me afloat for three and a half months! I know I have the skills, just need the confidence to speak without thinking I'll get laughed at (time to face it, Emily, they will laugh... But my motto has always been - if it makes them feel better about themselves, I'll roll with it!) I've grown up around Spanish speaking, I've taken classes throughout high school and college, so now it's time to put it to the test! I keep telling friends that what I'm worried about is learning how to express my humor in a different language!! So as for now I'd say things are going swell! I need to dig into my Yucatan travel book that I got for Christmas, and the manual for my new camera that I got for my birthday. I just want to dive in and start the adventure, but I guess I should prepare too!!

I will fly from Minneapolis to Houston, Texas at 2:45pm on Sunday, January 23rd. In Houston I will meet up with a big portion of my travel group. There are 16 of us in total, most girls and mostly from Iowa or the Midwest. I've connected/talked a lot with one girl from Indiana who seems very similar to me and shared that she's a Christian so I look forward to getting to know her. From Houston we will all fly into Merida, Mexico and land around 9:30pm. It'll be nice to have a pretty short day of traveling, which I'm not used to (I've spent way too many hours in the Miami airport over the last few years!). In Mexico, Val will pick us up and from there I don't know much!! So I'll keep everyone updated, and until then, it's packing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment