Monday, January 17, 2011

I will not, in fact, be homeless!

Today I found out my host family!!! Sort of... Val sent all of the students a list of the housing assignments - but only the moms' names are given. I remember a similar thing happening when I went to Costa Rica, when only the mom's name was provided as well. So it's very reassuring to know that I do indeed have a place to rest my head in Merida! This is what I know: Sra. Patricia Geligzly Gonzalez Molina, the address of my home, and the phone number. Unfortunately no email to do further investigating - but it adds to the element of surprise, right?

So today my mom, brother Paul, and I trudged out to the Mall of America (keep in mind MLK Jr. Day... Everyone and their brother is off of work and school). We hit all of the Minnesota stores that MOA has to offer, picking out gifts for my host family. We did some generalizing, guessing, and overcompensating when buying things, to make sure every possible family member would be covered. If it turns out that all I have is Patricia... She's going to have lots of gifts :) Mom and I completed the to-do list for the day, and I like to think we're done swiping the Visa, but Target will probably get some more of our business before Sunday. As my mom and I scurried through the grey slush in our Keens (we started the day in cute boots and shoes, but too many hours of shopping lead to the Keen sandals), I was reassured that the next time I slipped these sandals on, I'll be in the 90 degree weather expected in Merida this week!

When traveling for a mission trip in Peru a few years ago, the group was told about the acronym FAT. This three-letter word took on a whole new meaning as we were reminded to be Flexible, Adaptable, and Teachable. These are three important practices when traveling and learning in a new country, and being a host to an unfamiliar culture. I'll probably be murmuring 'FAT' under my breath a few times over these months ahead. Looking forward to all of the adventures and learning that I know will take place.

This week will be full of packing, list-making, and final farewells!
So for now, watch out Mamá Patricia, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment