Today I was exhausted - the change in schedule, heat, adjustments, and heat will really take it out of you! This morning at breakfast I had to laugh... American students, eating French toast, in Mexico. We spent the day going over the more boring, but very important and useful, orientation type information. Mostly we talked about the neighborhood we're in, how to get around, how to give/get/read directions and follow street signs! Merida has a really great system with how they label and organize everything, so that will make it easier to use! We took a group 'tour' of the surrounding area around the Central House which quickly made us all embarrassed because we were a sight to see. 17 white Americans, with maps in hand, walking 2 x 2 down the sidewalk. Val continually reminded us this would be one of the last times we'd parade around like that! Thanks goodness! Val talked with us today about some of her past work - helping Latino workers in the US find assistance after they have sustained an injury due to their work conditions. It was sad and crazy to hear some of her stories. She explained that someone could lose their hand from working in a field, and they'd accept/settle for 2,500 dollars - which the insurance company would give them to close their case, instead of working with someone like Val to get money, start a new job, and invest - where they could make 60,000 dollars. She explained that this has a lot to do with the Mexican mentality of getting the cash in hand and not having to worry about if what was promised would actually come. It was interesting! Around 1:30, after lunch, we had siesta. Yes people, I know it sounds too good to be true, but the city does in fact honor the 2 hour nap time!! And it was glorious. I slept for about 2 hours and then got up to socialize. After siesta, we got into groups of 4 for an activity sort of like a scavenger hunt. To learn navigation we were given 4 different things to find around the neighborhood and then answer questions about them, provide the address/directions, etc. My group traveled to a dentist, a school, a house for sale, and a grocery store! We chatted with some locals for help (my favorites being two young boys on their way home from school... too cute!) Dinner was delicious, well dessert was more of the focus... hot chocolate with some spices, and churros :) Thee greatest. A group of us walked to Mega (a superstore - that's really nice and has a lot to offer) after dinner to buy mostly toiletries and stuff we couldn't fit in our suitcases. It was about a 15 minute walk - and a great way to see the busy streets of Merida. I felt adventurous as I searched through all the products finding the new and exciting Mexican versions/brands! We'll see how well everything works!! When we got back a few girls were making this soup/pasta thing in the kitchen, so I joined them. Lyndie had the recipe from someone, so she whipped it up - and the other 3 of us sat around chatting! Tasty stuff! Our doorman/"security" guy, Pancho (precious little man) paid us a visit to sweep up some ants and change our water jug. You all probably didn't need to know that - but it was a good way to introduce you to him :) Now I'm just sitting out on the balcony, and ready to head to bed! Touring downtown tomorrow! Buenos noches!
Ps. for all of you who know or have experienced my pink hair-towel wrap... The entire house has now been graced with its presence as I subconsciously (which I do often) walked downstairs still wearing it - right as everyone flooded the kitchen. We'll be together 3 1/2 months, they may as well find out! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment