Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The heart of the matter

One of the main reasons for my being in Mexico, and a source of my excitement, was of course improving my Spanish language skills, as well as creating meaningful interaction with native and locals of Merida. The way I'll achieve this is all coming together, and it is going to be so motivating and inspiring - along with hard work and busyness!

I knew coming down here I'd be doing an internship, around my concentration of developmental disabilities in psychology, but I didn't know details. Today people interested in doing an internship met with Val and we discussed logistics. There are two different places I could work with special needs. The one I'm leaning towards is called Sol y Luna and is a 'refuge' for severely disabled children. In Mexico, families are of utmost importance so when it comes to caring for family members, disabled, elderly, etc. most care is done in-home. Sol y Luna cares for the child and additionally incorporates the family in teaching how to assist their child. It's more of a physical therapy emphasis, but deals with children with life altering disabilities, and many times multiple for each child. Val explained a child may be blind, have cerebral palsy, and something additional as well. It would definitely be eye-opening and so interesting to compare my future work to. I'm excited to see how it all comes together, if Sol y Luna is where I end up!

Another opportunity presented itself, and I am crazy about it! It's called Academia Municipal de Ingles. Tonight 3 other students and I went with Val to visit the English Academy where some people are going to do service learning, and I am interested in just volunteering during the week. Working class individuals who are sacrificing to pay for these private classes, are at an advanced level where they get the reward of receiving the attention and time of a native English speaker (that's us :)) They are in their final semesters of the program, and are wishing to become proficient in reading and writing English so they can get a better job, receive a higher salary, etc. Like any American wanting to learn Spanish really. I'm excited. When visiting tonight I was almost in tears - we all were. Because the students were precious, so motivated, so welcoming, so great! The first class all went around and introduced themselves, told us where they worked or went to school, and a favorite thing of theirs. As we walked in they were listening to one of those cheesy audio tapes for language learning (I'm used to the Spanish ones - it was great to hear it in English!) They all seem very good at English, and it'll be great to help them out in a more personal context, especially since we as Spanish learners are in the same boat and can empathize with them. 


I also want to look into volunteering at a nursing home very close to the house. Val said more recently (as Mexican culture usually finds it necessary to care for your own family) people are starting private homes to care for the elderly. So many opportunities, and with less time being spent in classes, I should hopefully be able to cater to all my preferences and wishes! Prayers would be appreciated as we start to get more into the 'meat' of the program - starting classes on Monday and moving in to my house on Sunday! Relationships with the other students is going so great, we're a fun bunch!
Much love from Mexico!


Ps. Today we went out in groups of 4 to explore and gain familiarity with the bus system. Our group was sent downtown. I'm becoming a public transit master, just sayin' (Sarah - I'm quickly checking things off your assigned list of "must do's")

1 comment:

  1. EMILY!!! This is soo awesome!! It sounds like you are going to have a super awesome and meaningful semester :) I can't wait to hear all about it and the people you meet! I am praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete