Today we had our trip to Acanceh to watch the Way of the Cross, or the Stations of the Cross/Passion Play, call it what you'd like. Amazing! So well done - and so extensive. We were out in the 109 degree sun for four hours, but worth it! Every actor was in full costume, so many people were involved, and the reenactment traveled through the entire town square. We didn't follow Jesus as he carried his cross around town for part of the time, to avoid being in the sun constantly, but we waited for him to come around the square. So we did miss a few of the stations, but the production was unreal. They hoisted up the three crosses, and hung Jesus between the two thieves. I'm not sure how the actors did it - so hot, so difficult, and probably painful. Val said she's talked with the man who plays Jesus, and he has to train for this day, as the cross weighs close to 200 pounds! I was impacted by today's reenactment (key word) and it wasn't nearly as real, intense, or gruesome as when Jesus died - so I can barely fathom what it was like for him that day at Golgotha. One thing I was really struck by was the contrast of Jesus' reactions versus the citizens. Our Savior remained calm, obedient, and compliant while everything around him was chaotic, loud, violent, and rebellious. As the crowd barked, "Crucify him! Crucify him!" Jesus remained patient - fulfilling his death on the tree, as God had willed. Jesus hung on that cross for those that were condemning him, those who hated him, spit on him, whipped him, and nailed him to the cross. He died for them, and for us. But we all know that Good Friday is not the end of the story - He rose from the dead, to take our sin and pain upon himself, and so that we may have eternal life. This is why this weekend is so exciting, and one of my favorites of the whole year!
The event itself was so crowded, an absolute sea of people showed up. Unfortunately this made it a little tricky to see or get around at points, but it was also exciting. Many people had umbrellas, and their were vendors selling them the entire day, therefore many of my pictures have plaid umbrellas poking into the frame. Oh well! Along with umbrellas, vendors were selling popsicles or other icy treats every which way!! The most incredible point of the play was when they hung the men on the three crosses, right in front of the pyramid, and they lifted the crosses up to their places by tugging on ropes - quite the task! I really enjoyed our visit today! I will share a few pictures, I have many - but it's hard to sort out which aren't blurry or completely blocked by umbrellas or other cameras (a LOT of people were allowed to be right up in the actors' faces as they were publishing or producing for a newspaper or television channel).
This evening I dyed Easter eggs! Some how, although I used 5 different colors, I think they all look fairly similar! It was fun, and provided a little taste of home and traditions! However I've never felt so classy, as I dyed them while wearing a black dress (usually it's an old t-shirt) because I was getting together with friends! We ended up just walking on El Paseo, and it was a beautiful night to do so with the breeze, cooler night (despite the boiling day temperatures), and many people were out due to the vacation. We sat on the Monument which always looks nice at night, ended up helping a lot of people take pictures, but just took in the surroundings! A relaxing, low-key evening, but good after a long/hot day!
 |
| The group! |
 |
| Popsicles to keep us cool |
 |
| The pyramid was so busy! |
 |
There was also some decent people watching today. These 3 cracked me up!
|
 |
| Herod calms the crowd as they yell "Crucify him!" |
 |
| Jesus is sent to Pontius Pilate |
 |
| Jesus is whipped |
 |
This girl reminded me of myself when I was little.
So fashionable. |
 |
| Palms decorating the streets |
 |
| Kayla and I |
 |
| Jesus carrying his cross |
 |
| Jesus is followed by his loved ones |
 |
| Carrying the cross to Golgotha |
 |
| The crowd |
 |
| Dragging the cross |
 |
| Pulling Jesus up |
 |
| Jesus and the thieves |
 |
"Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live"
 |
| The three empty crosses |
|
 |
| Mary grieves over Jesus' death |
 |
| Centurion |
 |
| EASTER! |
 |
| Dying eggs! |
 |
| Kayla, Juana, and I at the Monument! |
No comments:
Post a Comment