Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Under the weather

Unfortunately I started feeling a little sick last night and it has continued into today, although feeling much better! I think something I ate yesterday probably just upset my stomach, so today I stuck to toast, fruit, crackers and other small things to make sure I recover fully! I had just been talking about how lucky I've been to not be sick at all while here - spoke too soon! But in reality I can barely call myself sick right now, and I have been so fortunate to have the good health that I have while here this semester! Answered prayers for sure! I skipped Sol y Luna today, since I wasn't feeling the greatest, and didn't want to overdo it with the walk in the heat! Maybe I'll be able to go some other time this week.

We celebrated Kim (a girl in our group)'s birthday today with a homemade chocolate cake by Claudina (administrator/"house mom") - I suddenly wasn't sick when the cake was being served ;) so I had a small piece!! Ana drove me home from school again today, she's the best!! I spent the afternoon around home alone, since my mom is proctoring a country-wide exam today and tomorrow from 7am to 5pm. Did homework, rested, and shot a quick video of my home! It's not the best quality (especially if you get motion sick easily :)) but I hope it'll provide a glimpse of where I live!!! Once I go up the stairs, the first room you see used to be Diego and Porfirio's but now that they're grown up, it's where the Canadians stayed, and used as a guest room. The second bedroom is Pati's, my mom's. The final room is mine!! It used to be Fabi and Montse's but of course they have homes of their own now!

I was thankful to be feeling better and able to go to the English Academy tonight and spend time with my students! I brought my laptop so I could show them different pictures from my life in the States. They loved to see my family, friends, lakes (both in the summer, and frozen in the winter), all the snow, and Sarah and Josh's wedding. They say my mom and I are SO similar!! However they also said Sarah and Josh are very alike...? We practiced phrases in the past, present, and future as well! Then Marilú did the sweetest thing. She brought haziclipac (but we don't think this is how it's actually spelt... they weren't sure what was correct) which is a dip/salsa and tortilla chips! Last week when we discussed favorite foods, this was one of Marliú's but I said I had never heard of it/had it. So she had her mom make some today and she brought it to class for me to try!!! She was even late to class because of it... Oops! She wanted me to keep it and bring it home, so I could have my friends try it too. Also funny, because usually there are more chiles in the salsa, but she wasn't sure if I liked spicy things so she left them out! I came home bearing all sorts of gifts, because in the same class, I have a student who is 29 named Alejandra, and she is a kindergarten teacher. On Facebook we had been talking and she was showing me pictures of foam crafts that she makes and sells. They were very cute and I told her I'd love to buy a few from her, if she was able to make them. She quickly said she could have them ready by today's class. I show up and she greets me with a shopping bag full of these foam crafts. I had asked her to make me four things, but she went to town! She is so proud of her work! When I offered to pay her she refused to accept - saying it was her gift to me to express her gratitude and friendship to me! So now I literally have tons of these foam crafts. Attached is a picture of just one of each of the things she made - but I have multiple of most of them. She made me nearly 50 things!!! It was so sweet of her, now as long as most of it fits in the suitcase! Housemates, I have decorations for next year :) Haha


Tonight we went out to celebrate Kim's birthday again as a big group at La Parranda, one of our favorite hangouts/restaurants. It was a nice time and fun to help Kim celebrate her special day, especially when it can be hard to be away from home on big days! Plus whenever there is a larger group of us Americans, they bring out the sombreros for us to wear!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment