Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mi Salsa es Calentísimo

Sorry, but I must mention the heat today. First of all a whopping 108 degrees. During dance class tonight it was 95 degrees... 7:30pm... And I have never sweat so much in all of my life. It was ridiculous!! We had a good class, and I feel confident for our recital/final next week - but seriously we were all looking like waterfalls by the end. These temperatures are insane, but what positives can you make of it? 1) You can carry a wet shirt to school, and by the end of the 15 minute walk it's bone dry. 2) You get to congratulate yourself with every small achievement - ie. not sweating while walking from your desk to the bathroom. 3) It provides an excuse to drink more agua frescas. 4) Your teacher drives you home, in fear that you may otherwise die. 5) Every day that you make it through without fainting or something worse, it calls for a mini celebration. 6) Your blood is the thinnest it has ever been. 7) Getting ready becomes increasingly more easy, as a ponytail is just about all you can do. 8) At least it's not 115 degrees!...Yet. 9) You're providing free entertainment for anyone watching you walk down the street, dripping - because apparently they don't sweat. 10) At least it's not snowing (like in Minnesota tonight...)

Speaking of that snow - it needs to be gone by the 8th of May. I am not ready for that. And after this heat, I'll probably go straight into hypothermia. Ok, I think I've ranted enough about the weather :) I'll be sleeping in the hammock tonight for sure. I sat on my bed a little bit ago, and it was radiating with heat.

Today for our Spanish field trip we went downtown and to the biggest market. This was more like the typical Mexican markets I've been to in the past - absolute chaos, everything and anything you need (and don't need), crowded rows and vendors on top of each other. How people can concentrate to buy their things, I don't know! But I had a good time! We also went to El Museo de La Ciudad de Mérida - which had wonderful art and history! There were two galleries full of black and white photos of kids around the world - and I nearly melted. Not from the heat this time. I wish I could have gotten a copy of each one!! Ana also took us to a few places to help us find some gift things we've been searching for - she's the best!

Play practice tonight again, we gotta get the hang of this - the production is coming up quick! I think we're going to have a lot of fun with it... Whether or not the families and visitors understand the madness, no one knows, but we'll have a good time! All of the moving and dancing in the play, and then I had dance class soon after! But not soon enough that Katelynn, Sawyer, and I weren't able to make a run to La Gran Michocana for ice cream :) Again, it's hot so you can easily justify it!! Then it was time to work extra hard at our last dance practice. Like I said at the beginning, it was toasty out in that palapa. Veroníca wasn't able to dance a whole lot (after she fell last week, she's still recovering, and found out at the doctor she did something to the muscles in her back!) but we were able to move continuously through all nine of the dances to work out any of the last little problems!! One of our (favorite) songs is called "Mi Salsa es Caliente" by Gloria Estefan and tonight, nuestra salsa fue calentísimo.

Tonight I just ate fruit fruit and more fruit for dinner. Super refreshing after being so warm, and I'm taking any opportunity I get to get my fill of tropical fruits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment