Friday, April 1, 2011

How is it already April??

I feel like every first day of a new month I find myself searching for answers as to how it's already time to flip the calendar... Time flies when you're having fun???

Fun indeed! Today was another beach day! Swam in the ocean for a while, jumped a lot of waves, and the weather was very nice!! There is a restaurant that also services right on the beach, called Buddy's - and we've gone there a few times. They always tell us that even if we don't order anything, we can use their bathrooms (unheard of, right?). Before we left today a few of us went over to use the bathroom and as we were walking out a man stopped to talk with us. Tristan (but Mexicans call him Jimmy, because Tristan is too hard to pronounce) owns or manages Buddy's and is originally from Florida. The craziest part was Austin said he was from Iowa, and Tristan said that his ex-wife is from Iowa. Turns out they're both from the small town of Centerville - this is a small world. It was nice to chat and Tristan said if we ever need anything/have questions about things in Progreso, we should come to him and he'd love to help us out. I would say "Florida Nice" but we all know that's just Minnesota... :)

Now that I've spent two days at the beach, I'm a tired girl!! After returning early this evening, I've spent the rest of the night at home. I Skyped my mom, caught up on Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice online, and just relaxed. When my mom got home she came up and said she figured I would be exhausted after all the sun these past few days so she brought me something special for dinner. She knows me well, a panucho and a salbute were on the menu!! I don't know if I've written about these Yucatecan specialties. They are incredibly popular down here. It's like pizza or a hamburger in the States. So what are they? Val gave us an assignment at the beginning of our time here, to discover the difference between a panucho and a salbute. So here we go: Salbutes and Panuchos are very similar. Salbutes are soft, cooked tortillas topped with lettuce, tomato, turkey/chicken, pink pickled onions, avocado, and other vegetables, on top. Panuchos consist of tortillas partially fried but still soft, then they're opened slightly and filled with a little squashed black beans and topped with the same fixings. Both are delicious! And extremely traditional foods here. I got to help make panuchos when I was at the Mayan village as well! Also if you have time, want a chuckle, and would enjoy a deeper peek at all this food business, check out this webpage I found... Funny stuff. How to make panuchos and salbutes

Tomorrow I will go on a short excursion to Ake - a site for Mayan ruins as well as hacienda. More details and pictures will come with tomorrow's post. For now, I get to go to bed early tonight :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my super great Godfather, Dave!! Hope you enjoyed a relaxing day of fun and celebration!

Did anyone pull a good joke today? Or maybe you were the one who got fooled??

Thank you, Google Images!

No comments:

Post a Comment