Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Definitely not Wood Lake...

Growing up in Richfield, you quickly become familiar with Wood Lake. You went there for all your field trips, and many birthday parties. You know Karen and Tom, the naturalists (yes, I thought I was cooler than everyone because those are my parents' names). You fear the geese on the trails. And you know your wingspan (after comparing your arms to the bird chart). But today we went on a weekly Spanish field trip to a few places in the city, and it was no Wood Lake. We headed south, where we dramatically see the dynamics of Mérida shift - the buildings and structures, colors, quality, cleanliness, etc all change to a lesser quality. The south part of the city is more poverty stricken, and it was unreal how quickly we saw this change. Our first stop was at the cemetery. Of course in a city of one million people, there are multiple, but this is one of the most "popular" (if you can use that word when referring to a cemetery). Wow - so different than what we have in the United States. From learning about Día de los Muertos in school, I was aware that their burial process and entire concept of death is different than ours in the States, but walking in the cemetery was unreal. So close together, all the gravestones are built up and intricate, so many bright colors, and SO many graves. I told the people in my group, when the Lord takes me home I would like one of the teal or green graves that we saw today (sorry to freak you out Mom and Dad!). When I returned home Montse (my host sister) and her husband Miguel were here and they were so taken back that I had a field trip to a cemetery... Yes, I guess it was a little out of the ordinary, but interesting! After the cemetery we drove around to see the "south side" a little more, and then went towards my downtown stomping grounds and went into La Casa de Artensanía. Wowzers. Beautifully made things of all types filled this massive store. It's a fair-trade market/store where the owners are in cooperation with Mayan villages to buy their work and then sell it. So by shopping there you are supporting these families, and know that you are paying appropriate prices. I will be returning - as it was a lot to take in, and I need more time to look :) Just spent the afternoon around home and then went to Mega with my mom for some grocery shopping. We tried really hard to look like real family, in hopes that people would be fooled into thinking I was native... Probably a big failure. Then it was off to La Gran Michocana with Katelynn for ice cream and agua frescas! We asked our favorite worker what all the different sabores (flavors) were so many times, that next week he'll probably take his break when he sees us coming. Oops! No dance class tonight :( Veroníca had to cancel because she was sick. Now we've really got to work hard for our recital! Tomorrow I will go with the Canadians on one of their excursions... I wish I could tell you more, but I didn't catch the name, and all I know is the day will include a market, watching hammocks being made, and a traditional lunch. Oh, and of course lots of sweat! I'm excited that I'll be able to make the trip and see a new place. Val and Ana encouraged me to go, so I'll make up my work another day!

HAPPY Birthday to the wonderful Kari Weber :)

I found this piece online from The Daily Bread on April 11th and thought I'd share. First because it's good, and second because as some of you may know I went on this big kick with pennies in high school, finding them sort of useless so I'd collect them and throw them outside of Target, in parking lots, the street etc, in hopes of making some kid's day happy... Because "why save change when you can change the world?" :)

The penny has been called the most despised unit of US currency. Many people will not bother to pick up a one-cent coin if they see it lying on the ground. But some charities are finding that pennies add up to significant sums, and that children are generous givers. As one participant said, “Small contributions can make a huge difference.”
The Bible account of David and Goliath describes a seemingly insignificant person whose confidence in God was greater than any of the powerful people around him. When David volunteered to face the giant Goliath, King Saul said, “You are not able to go against this Philistine” (1 Samuel 17:33). But David had faith in the Lord who had delivered him in the past (v.37).
David did not suffer from “the penny syndrome”—a sense of inferiority and helplessness in the face of an overwhelming problem. If he had listened to the pessimism of Saul or the threats of Goliath, he would have done nothing. Instead, he acted with courage because he trusted God.
It’s easy to feel like a penny in a trillion-dollar deficit. But when we obey the Lord in every circumstance, it all adds up. Collectively, our acts of faith, large or small, make a big difference. And every penny counts. 


It matters now how large or small
Your faith may seem to be;
What really counts is whom you trust
In life's uncertainty. -- Fitzhugh




1 comment:

  1. Can't believe I made the blog!!! I love reading your many adventures and can't wait to hear them in person!

    ReplyDelete