TODAY IS MY 100th POST! And what a good day it has been to update you all on!!
It's hard to even put into words exactly what I did today. Seriously it was out of this world - and we all had the most spectacular time! Myself and 10 others went on the extra excursion that Val planned for us, since our group loved cenotes so much and we wanted to see more! There were 9 of us Central kids, and then Miguel (the Spain student) and Romi (Rachel's friend from Querretero who is visiting). Our driver, Algusto was awesome and took part in all of the activities today - jumped right in! We really had fun with him! First we went to grutas, or caves at Calcehtok. They were the same ones that I went to with the Canadians - but today was an entirely different experience! Today we went on the EXTREME route - and extreme is exactly what it was, and then some. I don't know the last time I have pushed myself so hard/far physically, in all of my life! The lowest we got was 100 meters below ground level! The two hour tour consisted of going deep into the complex system of tunnels and "rooms" that make up the cave. We spent a lot of the time maneuvering our way through - usually doing the army crawl, squirming in other odd positions, slithering/sliding across the mud or clay floor, and pulling ourselves up with ropes and arm strength over rock structures. There was one tunnel that was over 20 meters long! This was not for claustrophobics - and I think there was a point for all of us where we were a little frightened, or maybe even terrified. Salvador, our guide, would bring us to this small opening and ask us if we were ready... But I think we were still all staring at the hole asking if this was a joke? You'd see the openings and think there was no way we were going to fit - but if there's a will, there's a way. And Salvador says mind over matter - so away we'd go! I don't know how, but none of us even came out with that many scrapes or bruises... At least they haven't appeared yet :) But really, what a blessing that we all stayed safe and sound! Remember when I said I didn't think I had ever sweat so much in my life, on Wednesday during dance? Well that "record" got beat today I think. It was HARD work! My muscles are feeling it - and I fear what I'll feel like tomorrow morning! But it was all worth it. I couldn't tell you how many times we were exclaiming "WOW" "OH MY GOODNESS" "THIS IS CRAZY" "IS THIS REAL?" "I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE DOING THIS" "NORMAL PEOPLE DON'T DO THIS" or "DO YOU REALIZE WHAT WE'RE DOING?" or other such similar things. We were all in shock I think the whole time, and continue to be. Salvador goes down in the caves by himself (no thank you.) to explore new areas. Two days ago he discovered a tunnel to a new "chamber" and we were the very first group to ever go there! Other than Salvador, no one had ever been in there - isn't that cool??? He was also really impressed with us, because he'd always ask us before entering a tunnel if we thought we'd be okay, or if we wanted to go an alternate route. We always said we were more than ready - and he took us places where he said most groups don't go, or he's never taken groups before! That's us - the eager explorers! As we emerged we realized how dirty we really were - covered in the clay and sand from the tunnels - looking as good as ever! Ahhh I wish I could just show you all a video or even pictures of what we did today, but you'll have to attempt to understand how crazy this was! A once in a lifetime experience, and probably one of the most incredible days!
After we got out we loaded up our muddy selves into the bus and headed to two different cenotes! They were much more rustic/untouched than the ones at Cuzamá - and they were not touristy at all. The only people there were local boys. The two cenotes were in different towns, but they were very similar in style. The first had an open "roof" while the second was more closed like those at Cuzamá that we visited two weeks ago. The water was sooooo refreshing after our exhausting time in the caves - and we got to wash off all the dirt!! By the end of the day we were all in complete bliss, and calling ourselves the Dream Team - because we all just had the time of our lives and it was a really fun mix of people!
Tonight we went to ChiliMoon (yet again!) for a fun night with friends! I've been hanging out with some different people in my group lately - and although we've always been friends throughout the semester - it's been really great to be around them more!! Said goodbye to Miguel, who will be heading back to Spain on Sunday! Late night - full day of fun - so tired!
This last full weekend in Mérida is proving to be one of the best :)
 |
Kayla and I before heading into the cave
Looking soooo fashionable |
 |
| The Dream Team - BEFORE |
 |
| The Dream Team - AFTER |
 |
| Trying to process our latest adventure |
 |
| So tough. So hardcore. Such champions. |
 |
| Allison sporting the result of all that crawling |
 |
| Cenote!! |
 |
| Curtis and I in the cenote |
No comments:
Post a Comment