Monday, April 18, 2011

Homework is for the USA

Back to school after what seemed like a forever long time away! I hadn't been in the Central House since Wednesday - which is so unusual! A good day back! After Spanish class (where we all fell more in love with our professor Ana, such a great woman) I worked on some homework until our culture class! We talked about the pros and cons of tourism. Tourism is the only industry in the world that continually has an increase. Tourism is incredibly vulnerable in terms of success and downfall (natural disasters, civil wars, violence, can completely change the demand). Tourism creates internal migration - people flock to the tourist sites, for employment and greater opportunities. "A culture is more than what tourism can demonstrate" was a quote from our reading - couldn't agree more. Tourism is catered to what tourists will pay to see. Tourism usually shows the ritzy, preserved, restored parts of a country or city. Culture is the daily life of a place's people. Interesting discussion on ways that tourism helps to boost economies, provide jobs, preserve national treasures. Yet tourism can lead to unfair distribution of wealth, unjust portrayal of an area, commercialization of history, among other things. Mostly I think people need to be more aware and educated when touring other cultures, to keep in mind what they're seeing, and what's been omitted.

I also got to open a package from home today! It got here Thursday, but it's been at the Central House so I finally got to open it today!! Easter goodies from my family to celebrate this week! Easter candy, a bunny pencil to make homework more festive, and best of all (Ok, the jelly beans are good too) EASTER EGG DYE!! This is especially funny because awhile back, I had written in my planner for today "Figure out Easter eggs" - well lookie there, my mom and I are on the same page! Can't wait to dye them this week!

I returned home and ate a delicious lunch with my mom! Then I relaxed, should have worked on homework, and then went to El Hogar where part of the Canadian group has been working this last week, and where my mom volunteers weekly (I visited before with her)! We were invited to watch their final presentation/celebration and partake in the festivities. We didn't realize it was going to get drawn out so long, but it was nice to converse with the girls, the students, the teachers, some of the other host moms, etc. They put on a lovely presentation about Canada, comparisons, and their experiences here in Mexico, as well as voiced their appreciation for their time with the girls at the home. It was nice to see them be very mature and eloquent, after spending other days with them when this is what was sometimes lacking :) I hung around on the patio with my mom, Elica (another host mom for the students), Marilyn and Hélen as we talked and enjoyed the beautiful evening! Tacos al pastor was on for dinner - as they had a stand come in and "cater" for all the girls at the home and the students! Tasty, of course! After goodbyes and such, we finally got home! Now it's 11:00, and I have yet to touch my homework... Oops! I thought this was vacation? Ok, no... time to hit the books and get this done! I guess homework isn't just an American thing.

Oops I forgot to add Uxmal pictures today - Maybe tomorrow!!

My Spanish professor, Ana!
Easter package :)

No comments:

Post a Comment