I didn't let me self sleep in this morning, despite being out late last night! I have to fill up my days here!! But after a big Mexican breakfast I forgot about the lack of sleep. Tamales, fruit, and yogurt! New obsession: natural yogurt with fruit and granola. I can't really put a finger on the flavor - it's not like the plain we have in the States, but not vanilla. I'll have to do some searching to find it when I'm home!! :) Then I wrote a paper on immigration for my Mexican culture class, which I'm sure I'll have more details/facts to share about on Monday after discussion and lecture! Then I dropped off my laundry and headed to the Central House's rooftop terrace to lay in the sun and listen to music with Katelynn which turned into a singing (screaming) and dance marathon. Made for an energetic and enjoyable afternoon!! I spent some time at home, took a siesta, and then got ready for the evening! I hung out and chatted on our front patio with my mom for a bit as we discussed things from the pesky ant epidemic in Mexico, Montse's pregnancy, and how she celebrates Easter. It sounds like it's pretty casual, but usually a family dinner, so that will be nice!!
Early this evening I headed downtown with Katelynn to do some wandering and shopping! It wasn't as successful as we had planned, but we really enjoyed it - and the hub-bub of downtown is always really exciting!! So many people, unique sights, and activity! We then walked to meet up with a bigger group of people at Café Chocolate where one of the professors here, Fer, had a poetry reading event. He is a published poet, and every Saturday at this café he and others gather to read and recite poetry, chat, etc. I can never take poetry as seriously as I should, and it becomes especially difficult when I'm with friends, so there were a few times I had to put my head down so I wouldn't laugh... You'd think at this age we'd be more mature, but I guess not :) It was really nice though and we met and talked with Jonathan Harrington, a native US poet who lives here, and is supposedly somewhat popular, but none of us students knew the name. Oops. Then we went to The Mayan Pub for a late dinner and hangout with a group of students and two of the language assistants (Julio and Sharon) that will be at Central College in Pella next year (who we interviewed a few weeks back). It was really fun to walk with them, English and Spanish, often sentences that began in one language and ended in another. So yes, a good day with a lot of hopping from place to place!!
No comments:
Post a Comment