I was so productive today, I barely know what to think!! This morning after breakfast I said goodbye to the Canadians, as they are moving toward Cancun where their flight will depart tomorrow. I was actually a little sad to see them go, it was nice to meet them and spend time with them! After Spanish class I spent the rest of the day at the Central House (my mom went to the beach for the whole day to be at a friend's house for a birthday party, so I packed lunch/dinner and camped out at school) and got so much done!! Homework, a mountain of e-mails, applications, reading articles, listening to news stories, etc filled my afternoon! Oh, and then a beautiful siesta!! In the late afternoon we had play practice - it was sooooo great! We are getting good - and the songs and dances are unreal! I'm excited to see how it all turns out! We're even recording our songs on Garage Band and putting them together with music (Jim Engstrom, are you proud?). One of the songs is to the tune of "In the Jungle" from Lion King (but our version is "In the Milpa") and we're highly considering sending it to Disney... we're that good :) Started writing my final paper for Spanish class on the topic of "las pasiones de mi vida" (my life's passions) and did other homework out on the patio at the house (lovely evening breeze!).
The following points are things I must share with you to explain a little more of my life in Mérida:
This is the first time I've seen...
- Speed bumps on the freeways (and so many on any road for that matter)
- Bathrooms with no toilet paper or soap, and no plan to change it
- People selling who knows what, at every stop light (giant calculators and maps are among my favorite things)
- Trucks with 20 people in the bed (no joke)
- So many one-way streets (usually unmarked)
- Police man with machine guns just strolling down the street
- Meats and cheeses that you have them slice to buy in a store that is essentially a gas station
- Bike riders on the freeway
- The absolute cheapest tropical fruit
- Such unique ice cream and popsicle flavors - and SO many ice cream shops
- Hundreds of ants swarming the smallest crumbs
- Women wearing high heels 24/7, at any job (even those requiring tons of walking)
- So little carpet... I haven't touched carpet since January 23rd
How to fit in:
- Show up late to everything
- Take your mid-day siesta (preferably in a hammock)
- Drive like a maniac, get accustomed to roundabouts, and whatever you do - don't stop at stop signs
- Exchange all of your flip flops for high heels, and don't feel weird if you wear fancy high heels or wedges with jean shorts, athletic shorts, or sweatpants
- Greet everyone who passes by
- Learn tricks to stop sweating or disguise your shininess
- Don't leave the house between 1pm and 3pm
- Even when the bugs are three times bigger, faster and scarier, be brave
- Don't flinch when ants are climbing over your kitchen table and counter
- Use a tortilla, not utensils - easier, and tastier
- Throw our your day planner, life just goes with the flow and is incredibly spontaneous
- It's going to be hot, don't waster your time checking the newspaper, internet, or thermometer
- Don't go to the coffee shop at 8am (it may not even be open yet), instead head there at 10 or 11pm
- Put hot sauce and squirt lime on everything you eat... and drink
- Only check your mailbox every two weeks... if that
- Keep your pockets full of small change - you tip everyone and anyone for anything and everything here
- If you’re going out with friends, meet at 9pm – but 10pm or later if you want to be more socially acceptable
My realizations:
- I am very dependent on Ziplocs - They are rarely found or used here
- Burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and tamales are all fair game for breakfast
- I LOVE the public bus system - I'm a pro
- If you want a hot shower in the morning, turn on the water 5 minutes before you get in. If you want a cold shower at night, turn on the water 5 minutes before you get in. (The water has gotten hot from the sun's intensity all day - so you have to flush that all out
- Water bottles are like accessories here - I always have one in my hand
- 95 degrees is a cool day, embrace it
- I crave diversity, rain, grass, and carpet
- When it does rain, allow yourself extra time to get places - the streets convert into rivers
- I am excellent at multiple at 12s now (12 Pesos to 1 USD is the exchange rate currently)
- Jamaica, Horchata, Pastor, Salbute, Panucho are part of my every day vocabulary
- If stores don't have prices on their products, know they are going to make up the prices depending on your hair and eye color (Are you sure you want to charge me $20 for this piece of pottery? The man next door is asking for $5...)
- Gates and tall walls in front of all of the houses seems normal – even though they’re something that rarely exist in Richfield
- Putting toilet paper in the toilet doesn’t even seem like an option anymore
- I must look European. Everyone downtown or other places always asks me if I’m from Germany, France, etc.
- Sleeping in a hammock for the night can in fact be comfortable and relaxing if you know what you’re doing
- Pedestrians have no rights
- Eating lunch at 2 and dinner at 9 seems perfectly normal – and my stomach has switched to this time schedule
- Even if you’re from the state where the mosquito is called the state bird, they will not fly past your legs in Mexico
- It's easier to speak Spanish than English at times
- MEXICO IS WONDERFUL!
No comments:
Post a Comment