Saturday, April 23, 2011

Progreso like we've never seen it before

Tiffany and I went to the beach today, and it was bonkers!!! I have never seen so many people there, let alone at any beach, in my whole life! It wasn't stressful or annoying though - it was fun to people watch, and just see all the families and friends together enjoying their vacation! But honestly, the water was more like a sea of humans!

My posts have been getting a little boring lately I feel, but I think I'm so caught up in my time here that it's becoming more and more difficult to share them - and I don't like sounding repetitive! But after the beach we went and got agua frescas, then I was just at home, watched some TV with my mom, worked on my essay for Spanish, and then got together with friends for a bit! Emily and I sat on the Central terrace and just chatted for a while - beautiful evening! We've been having a lot of those lately :) I walked home with my dozen Easter eggs, and I think some people were curious as to what I was carrying. When I got home I showed them off to my mom, and then we talked a bit about the whole Easter egg idea, and how it's definitely a US thing. Her grandkids had dyed eggs last night in Houston and they'll have a hunt tomorrow. I told her about the year we didn't find one of the hidden eggs until Christmas Eve (remember that, Grama and Grampa?)! Tomorrow will definitely be a different Easter for me. No plans as of now (very Mexican) which is hard to believe, as I know my mom is preparing the well-decorated feast at my house as I type. I will surely miss being together with family but we'll see what happens here! I'll go to church in the morning with Nicole and the kids and my mom will go to Easter mass, then who knows about dinner plans? Porfirio (host brother) and his family went to the beach for the weekend, and Montse as of earlier today still wasn't sure of their plan. This boggles my mind :) If nothing else my mom and I can eat egg salad sandwiches together!!!! I'll eat my bunny marshmallows and jelly beans too, that's for sure! After a bit of a hectic day with some things in our group of students, as I walked to Central tonight I was praying and was hit by how faithful God has been to me this semester. I also was reminded that plans or no plans, the Easter message does not change. Being the first to find your Easter basket (although I will miss this), dying eggs, eating ham, gnawing on chocolate bunny ears, wearing a nifty Easter bonnet, and filling yourself with jelly beans are not what this celebration is about. We are celebrating Christ's resurrection and the freedom from our sins. Thank you Jesus, for taking our place on the cross!

My second cousin/friend/roommate (we're a multi-purpose pair) Katie heads home from her study abroad semester in Ecuador tomorrow. I am in shock, because that makes my leaving all that more real. This really is coming to an end! Safe travels, Katie!

While the thought of leaving Mexico is sad, I've realized today I think I'm getting more ready. Not that I don't look forward to the next two weeks - doing last minute things and spending time with my group, but I also recognize that there are exciting things waiting for me back home! I'm sure on May 8th I may think something different, as leaving Mérida will be hard, but I will never forget the incredible semester I have had!

I should have taken another picture later in the day. This was right when we
got to the beach, and fails to show the extraordinary crowd.
Tiff and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment