Friday, April 8, 2011

Bittersweet

This morning we all met for play practice, and it went really well! We've gotten past most of the giggles and finding this whole acting thing strange. Then a group of us headed to Progreso for a day at the beach! The wind really started to pick up in the afternoon, which caused the sand to blow alllllll over us. We were essentially sandblasted. So when that got a little annoying, we left. I returned home with a layer of sand all over me, sandboxes in my ears, and greyish hair from the sand getting trapped. Don't get me wrong - we had a fun time :) But a shower was much needed, and still I don't think I got it all off!

I worked on a reading I have for my Mexican culture class and then relaxed at home for a bit. I got to Skype with my sister and brother-in-law which was wonderful!! Seriously, what did people do before all of these great inventions?? While at times technology can be frustrating and over-relied upon, I must say - while studying abroad it's a lifesaver! We were hoping to go to a Yucatán Leones baseball game, but were a little too late in trying to figure out all of the logistics, so that will have to wait. Instead we went to CantaMexico which is a karaoke bar right on El Paseo. SO FUN! Again - lots of music, balloons, crazy good dancers (seriously... Americans are the only people who can't dance.) and an all around good time! We never were able to get up to sing, but that doesn't mean we didn't sing from our table on the balcony!!!

Today being the 8th marks one month until I'll be home... BITTERsweet. Right now it's mostly bitter, thinking about leaving this wonderful country, my new home, my incredible friends, and all of the unforgettable opportunities and experiences that I've had here. It also stresses me out to fit everything else into the last four weeks. But certainly sweet as I anticipate reuniting with family and friends, enjoying some comforts of my home and life in the US, sharing these four months of my life with everyone and anyone, and seeing what God has planned for my future. I try not to think about May 8th yet though - there is still plenty of time to soak up the Mexican life!!! I'm going to make a little list of things I still need to do while here in the Yucatán. If anyone has been to this area and has any suggestions, let me know! However I doubt I'll have trouble filling up my time!! Reality will strike soon enough, so I've just got to enjoy the time I have!

SO happy to see that the tWINs had a great win today!!! I sported my Twins shirt to show my support and Minnesota pride! The Twins were even on the front page of the sports section here in Mérida :)

HAPPY Birthday to our great family friend, Shari Lyrek! Hoping your big day was a grand celebration!!

tWINs
Front page of the newspaper here!!
Some friends!!
Too many fog machines, but the balloons made up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment