Sunday, April 3, 2011

The lost get found

Today was a lazy Sunday - I seem to be good at these! I slept in late (thanks to being out until a wee hour last night, as well as daylight savings kicking in here) and spent the rest of the day doing some school things, figuring out a schedule for next year at Drake, relaxing, Skyping my future housemates from Drake, and my best friend Kial, and watched The King's Speech with my mom! It was a good movie and I brushed up on some history that I wasn't too sharp on before! We broke the tradition of Pollo Rico for lunch today - my world was rocked - but instead my mom cooked something delicious herself! I must say I'm becoming quite Mexican... I didn't even get hungry again for dinner until 8:30pm, and then I had some yogurt, fruit and bread - just like my mom always has! Just another step towards becoming more like the natives :) Score. I wanted to share some different things I've read/learned lately, which I've been meaning to share!

At the first of the year I started reading through My Utmost For His Highest an ever-popular devotional by Oswald Chambers. Here are some bits and pieces that have stood out to me in the last few days.
-March 28th: Are you debating whether to take a step in faith in Jesus, or wait until you can see how to do the thing yourself? --- OBEY Him. We are blind to the bigger picture that is God's perfect and pleasing will for our lives. Don't attempt to make it through this world without Him, we'll fail, we're human. Instead practice faith.
-March 30th: Why do we worship and pray? To get into God's presence and heart. Not hurl our own petitions at God's throne and dictate to Him as to what we wish Him to do. --- No, it is not our right or place to tell God what must or must not happen in our lives. Instead we worship and pray to get ourselves closer to God's love and glory - so that we can pick up small glimpses of that and then, and only then, become aware of what God has planned.
-March 31st: Take care lest you play the hypocrite by spending all your time trying to get others right before you worship God yourself. --- Too many times it's easier to help other people with their faith, or spend the energy and time getting them to take steps in their faith, than focus on your own walk with the Lord. While it is good and necessary to reach out to others, it shouldn't be used as a distraction from your own relationship with your Father in heaven.

Today I listened to a sermon that was given last week at my church back in Minneapolis. It focused on Acts 14:1-7, and the persistence and passion of Paul and Barnabas as they shared the Gospel. A video was shared at the end of the message and it's one worthy of sharing with all of you. I had seen this from a friend not too long ago, but was reminded of it's incredible truth and power this morning as I reflected on it again. Please take five minutes from your busy day to watch the video linked here: G.O.S.P.E.L. It tells the story that has transformed me and so many others. Watch it, accept it, share it.

Take the chances that God places in your life to impact those you encounter. Share God's love! It's certainly something I need to work on. Here's a song with a similar message: Lost Get Found - Britt Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment