It's hard to believe it's just been one week since I returned home. In some ways I feel like I was just in Mexico, but in more ways I feel like I've been home for much longer! It's been a week of adjustments and a little confusion. At times I felt weird to be here, and at other times it felt weird that I didn't feel weird. Parts of my routine seemed so normal, while other activities seemed way out of whack!
My visit to Drake was really wonderful - it was great to see friends before we all went our ways for the Summer. I got to ride with Katie Bell and Danielle Heffernan which was so fun, because all three of us studied abroad in Latin America, so we had lots to share and compare! Katie and I made our rounds seeing people between their cram sessions in the library as they studied for finals (it felt so good being there but not thinking about classes!). We made the mistake of going to Hubbell (the dining hall) soon after we arrived Monday night and as we entered we were so overwhelmed with lots of people and lots of chaos. We slept in our old room and beds in GK 228 just like old times :) Brushing our teeth in the bathroom with the music on seemed way too normal. It was a beautiful and warm two days in Iowa, so I loved being around the sunshine!
That was about all the sunshine I've seen, until today again. The cold is one thing, but I need some sun!!! Hopefully this next week will be better! Throughout the rest of the week I got to see my friend Jacoby (we made tie-dye cupcakes... real cool!), babysat two different kids from church, sleep in a day or two, more family time, relax, get my summer work details in place, and today I had a full day between church, a visit to Sr. High youth group at church, and then Vespers at Bethel University tonight with church friends and to see Kial!!! We hadn't been apart for that long in the 17 years we've been friends! So an all around good first week!
What have I realized during my first week about life in Minnesota and the good ol' USA? Well a lot, but here are a few quick notes:
- It rains here. Way different compared to my one "day" (maybe an hour) of rain in Mérida all semester
- People don't speak Spanish
- There is sales tax
- Water is free at restaurants, and drinks usually have free refills
- Gas is crazy expensive
- Cell phones have so many options, bells, and whistles
- I miss my American and Mexican friends a lot
- There is grass, and a lot of it
- Where is the beach??
- People stop at stop signs, and pedestrians have rights
- There is diversity
- I can throw toilet paper right in the the toilet here (I still search for the waste basket usually)
- It's chilly, and a little difficult to remember how to dress for this weather
- I barely sweat here (a major highlight)
- My humor works a lot better than in Mexico
- We have a lot of options and choices
- Target is still great, and I could still pass hours there
- Anytime I hear Spanish I nearly break my neck as I search for the source
- Driving was initially odd
- It's hard to really pinpoint my "favorite part" of the semester, "best experience", or reply to the question "how was it?" - all of which I've been asked numerous times over the last seven days. If you have longer though, I could probably talk about my love for Mexico all day :)
Many people have been asking me if I'm done blogging, etc. I wish my life was exciting enough to keep updating this page, but frankly I don't plan on visiting Mayan ruins or diving through caves anytime soon - so I'll probably refrain from my life's boring details. However I have grown to love blogging and I enjoy the very light and loose writing that it provides, so I'm debating starting a different blog, with no particular goal or topic. I'll post something on here if I decide to do so!! Any ideas would be appreciated - since joining Stumbleupon, a newly popular website/tool, I've realized how many blogs are really out there - on almost any subject!!
Many have asked - so I'll share on here about my Summer plans. I will be nannying 20 hours a week for a family who was looking for a nanny who speaks Spanish, for their daughter. She lives very close to me, and I look forward to getting to use a little bit of my Spanish! Additionally I'll be a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) for a 21 year old boy with Down Syndrome. I am very excited for this opportunity to try something new, and work a little closer to my major and future career. Hoping to stay busy yet find time to really enjoy these months off and with family and friends! We'll all be taking a trip in mid-June to Mexico (I knew they couldn't keep me away :)) for my cousin Nicole's high school graduation! More Spanish-speaking headed my way!!
So far now, farewell! It's been an incredible four months! Thanks again for reading, following, praying, being interested, acting interested :), and asking questions! I'll leave you with a few of my final photos from Mexico, and my arrival in the States!
| Sad. |
| Sadder. |
| The craziness that filled up the Central House - and this wasn't even half of it |
| Friends at the airport |
| Last hours in Mexico together |
![]() |
| Leaving Mérida |
| Saying our final goodbye to the city |
| My welcoming team at the Minneapolis airport!!! |
| Back home with Mom and Dad :) |

No comments:
Post a Comment