I remain in absolute disbelief and feel that I'm living a bit of a dream. This certainly can't be reality - home already??
Loading up went smoothly, a few tears were shed, but we made it to the airport smoothly! The driver of the taxi van had a TV screen with music videos playing (a little odd) but we got to dance to some beats for the last time together! At the airport we weighed out bags on the official scales and I realized mine was a pound over. Val said they were pretty strict so I did some rearranging. Got it to 49.5 lbs!! All went smoothly, a few laughs were shared as a group such as us moved through security, etc. Then we sat in the very small terminal watching the Mérida sunrise which was absolutely gorgeous. None of us could believe what was happening - and this was pretty much the theme of the day. Since we knew we'd be rushed once we got to Houston, we had to say our goodbyes in the Mérida airport, even though we would sit on the same plane for the two hour flight. Once we hit the ground in Texas it was power hour. Madness, running, speed. Some of the group only had about an hour - but I had an hour and a half (still not a lot of squiggle room). We rushed through customs/immigration/security checkpoints/bag checks/more security - uffda! I luckily got caught back up with Katelynn, Austin, and Kaitlan right before the final security check, but Katelynn soon had to rush off and budge in line because her plane was taking off in 10 minutes. So it was a flustered goodbye to one of my absolute best friends!! I got to my gate with 15 minutes to sit and breathe before loading. I sat next to an older man who talked a lot with me during the flight about my semester, his own six children, a son-in-law who is Mexican, and his own travels/experiences. It made it so I couldn't sleep how I was hoping - but he was friendly! A little before 2pm we descended over home sweet home, and I soon spotted the Richfield water towers and my neighborhood!! My eyes were quick to notice the green grass waiting for me, but I couldn't miss the grayness and rain. During the semester it only rained once in Mérida, and it's true that I had missed precipitation (other than the sweat that was constantly appearing) but now wasn't the time for the dreariness! Fortunately later this afternoon the sun came out, and so far I haven't even froze too bad! Although the temperature difference is remarkable - so far I haven't gotten hypothermia. As we landed in Minneapolis I got a little teary eyed I think realizing that this experience truly had ended - and my gringos were no longer with me! But off I went to see my family!!! My mom, dad, and Paul greeted me with two big signs, one in Spanish and one in English! On a side note, I think my brother has grown 6 inches since I've been gone - so I barely recognized him. My luggage was ready really quickly and then we got to make our way to la casa! Carpet! Wood floors! My bed! Tap water! Flushing toilet paper! Easter candy! Homemade cookies! These things all grabbed my attention right off the bat! We all collapsed and talked for quite a while - there were some stories that I had been needing to tell them in person, and finally there we were! Later in the evening both sets of my grandparents, and my aunt, came over for Davanni's pizza dinner - Mmm I had missed that, and it was a wonderful time to see all my family! They were happy to see me here, at home and safe! Played a few games of Bananagrams with my family, gave them their gifts, and relaxed! I'm very very very tired - and it's time to catch up on a lot of lost sleep!! I already had to cave in and call Katelynn - it's incredibly different not having her a short walk away from my house in Mérida - and it will be hard!
Thank you, Lord for all that you did this semester. I have been so blessed and I pray that I will continue to be a blessing to others, based on my experiences there! Trusting in God has so much power and I have realized this semester what God will do to protect His children. He knows exactly what we need at just the right time. I've learned incredible things and can't wait to share my experiences with anyone who dares to sit and listen!! I have a feeling in the coming days and weeks (...possibly months...) I'm going to be so eager to just talk talk talk about all that happened in Mexico! It's hard for me to even process all that is happening, exactly what I should feel, and how I'm supposed to move forward now - but it'll be exciting to start Summer vacation (which feels weird to say), and start seeing everyone from back home again!
Tomorrow I'll head to Des Moines and go to Drake to see all my friends before they head back home for Summer! Katie, Danielle, and I will road trip down there - and it should be fun, because all of us studied abroad this semester!! Lots to talk about, compare, and relate to! This will be a quick turn around, and I'll surely be tired, but worth it!!
MIL GRACIAS a todos ustedes quienes han leido mi blog durante mi tiempo en México. Aprecio que se tomaron el tiempo para aprender de mi vida y mis experiencias del semestre. Espero que hayan disfrutado mis cuentos y recuerdos de un país muy cerca de mi corazón. Por favor recuerden lo que he compartido de México - que es un país increíble con mucho más que ofrecer que lo que dice la noticia. Me pregunta cualquiera cosa de mi tiempo en México, para sugerencias (todos deben visitar Mérida), o dudas. Mi dirección de correo electrónico es emily.madsen@drake.edu. ¡Gracias, otra vez - por su intrés en un semestre inolvidable!
Thank you to all of you who have read my blog during my time in Mexico. I appreciate you taking the tim to learn about my life and my experiences from the semester. I hope you enjoyed my stories and memories of a country very close to my heart. Please remember what I shared about Mexico - which is an incredible country with a lot more to offer than what the news says. Ask me anything about my time in Mexico - or for suggestions (all of you should visit Mérida) or concerns! My email address is emily.madsen@drake.edu. Thanks again - for your interest in an unforgettable semester!
I will probably write a few more times on my blog within the next week or two, more for my sake, to document how it's been readjusting to life in the States! But thank you for your faithfulness in checking in on my life! The constant updates are now over :) I can't believe I was able to keep it up everyday, but I am beyond thankful that I'll have this blog to look back on and remember everything!
Ps. My Godmom, Beth had a gift of Nutella waiting for me when I got home - to help me feel a little more like I was at my home in Mérida. AND My mom showed me with great excitement that she found me coconut popsicles!! I can't wait! Maybe they'll be close enough to La Gran Michocana :)
No comments:
Post a Comment